Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which chip do you have? stage 1 or stage 2? what other modifications do you have? How many miles with the chip installed? Have you noticed any gas mileage change? What kind of driving do you do? What grade gas do you run? Have you done any performance benchmarks? dyno? 0-60 times?

I emailed jet about stage 2 with no modifications running mid grade gas. There's almost nothing as far as aftermarket parts yet. I have not received a reply yet, I'm going to try to call them later this afternoon.

From what I've been reading on various V6 forums for differnet cars running the stage 2, the 180 deg t-stat is recommended but not required. Some people have installed it with as little as only air intake upgrade. Seems that those that did dyno noticed decrease in hp but increases in tq.

One person I saw installed it with air intake and exhaust and saw +1.5-2 mpg difference combined and +4 mpg highway.

One interesting thing I saw was that it didn't matter what grade gas, the gas mileage was consistant (mid or premium).

Another interesting thing is that those with V8s saw little to no gains.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I have the stage 2 with intake nd free flow exhaust on my R/T, i noticed better throttle response and better shifting points too. I use mid range fuel, the avenger handbook sayd that the 93 octane is not good for the motor and possibly decrease hp

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, i saw that too about premium gas. That's one reason I was asking.

- Dan M

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you running premium? tried mid grade? what about fuel economy? any 0-60 time comparison from before chip to after chip?

- Dan M

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I went from a flat 7sec. to 6.7sec. All in manumatic mode.
I have tried 89 octane, and end up with spark knocking. Went back to 91 and things ended up better. I never seen much of a difference in MPG.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Seems that those that did dyno noticed decrease in hp but increases in tq.​
Then they weren't comparing at the same rpm before and after.
They may have compared peak hp and torque before and after - which, without doing a bunch of math, I believe would indicate a more rapid drop (even just a little) in the torque curve above 5252 rpm, which would lower the peak hp while still allowing for a higher peak torque below 5252 rpm.

Horsepower is simply torque x rpm / 5252
So if the rpm doesn't change, and the torque decreases, so will the hp.
Just as if the rpm doesn't change and the torque increases, so will the hp.

Here's an interesting bit of trivia;
below 5252 rpm, any engine's torque number will always be higher than its horsepower number,
and above 5252 rpm, any engine's horsepower number will always be higher than its torque number.
At 5252 rpm the horsepower and torque numbers will be exactly the same.

What you want is more torque over a wider a range of rpms

1 - 7 of 7 Posts