Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. New to the forum, but not to the Avenger. I've got an '08, that I bought in 2010. Unfortunately, I've come to the personal conclusion that this is one of the worst engineered cars ever built. But that's for a different day.
I have had, and am starting to get some more, "electrical gremlins". The 1st issue started a few months ago- when I hit the right turn signal, there's a "dinging" sound that comes out from the dash. And within a couple of seconds, the signal will start hyper-flashing. But, if you have the headlights or parking lights on, the signal won't flash at all. I've change all bulbs in the front and rear lights, and the flasher itself, too. No change.
And now, just within the past few days, the door locks have started engaging by themselves occasionally. Sometimes too, the passenger power window doesn't want to work- from either switch. And this morning, I've lost all power to the right headlight/turn signal/running light- altogether.

I've had it suggested to me that the problem is probably the TIPM. My questions are-
Is it okay to buy a remanufactured one?
Is there anything special I need to know about ordering one? Like anything specific in the car's serial number?
Can I just simply change it out? Or does the PCM need to be re-flashed?

Any help would certainly be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
Yes the early SEDANS were known for quite a few "elec. gremlins" First thing to do would be to check your battery and its terminal connections. Yes it is a pain to get at, and that is why a lot of problems stem from that(corroded connectors and OLD battery) They not only need volts but GOOD amperage levels also and OE size batteries do not last long in the sedans(not even my coupe model btw)
It may be a tipm/fuse panel problem, but I would start of with some simple checks and then get it to where someone can pull body codes and try to narrow down the problem before just spending BIG dollars for a tipm/fuse panel.
EDIT: Have you tried trying a new battery in your remote for lock problem?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I can't get in to the mechanic for a week.
Do the scanners at Auto Zone and Advanced Auto have the capability of scanning our cars?

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
For engine/trans. YES body codes NO, at least not around me. But would not hurt to call one up and ask!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to pull it into my shop this afternoon and check the battery connections, fuse slots, etc.
I really can't see it being a general issue like corrosion. The fact that very specific components are being effected would lead me to think it's something more localized.
Hopefully, I'm wrong.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Checked the battery and connections. No corrosion. I put a load tester on the battery, and it checked fine. I also pulled the fuses. None were blown, and none had any corrosion on the contacts.
Is there some way to pull the codes yourself? I had a car once (can't remember the brand) you could pull the codes by hitting the right combination of buttons on the radio.

·
Premium Member
6,749 Posts
It is not so much a matter of power but grounds to complete the circuit of the malfunctioning system. Not sure about body module codes, but search here for the "key dance" procedure. I know it works for motor and basic trans codes,worth a try and you will learn something about your avenger either way!

·
Registered
198 Posts
The "key dance" procedure, if you haven't already found it is the following: turn the key from ACC to ON 3 times in quick succession (without starting the car). So, turn the key to ACC, ON, ACC, ON, ACC, ON, in quick succession, leaving the key in the final ON position. Any codes will be shown, usually beginning with Pxxx. When all the codes have been displayed (or no codes if there aren't any), the display will show "dOne".

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't show anything. But the check engine IS on. And the little triangle with the exclamation marker flashes intermittently while driving too.
I guess I'm going to need a real code reader.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts