Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Dodge Avenger 2009 R/T that I recently changed out the left transmission and front motor mounts over Labor Day weekend. Everything went by the book smoothly without any issues. Front-end noises solved!

For clarity:
- there are two vertically oriented bolts.
(1) One in the "front" that goes through this hockey-puck dampener, through the transaxle frame, into the mount. M10 x 1.5 x 50
(2) One in the "back/rear" that goes through the transaxle frame into the mount. M12 1.75 x 55

- there is one horizontally oriented bolt
(1) goes through the motor/motor mount/motor. M10 1.5 x 90

I had tightened all of the bolts to 45 ft-lbs at first (girlfriend was sick and I had to get some meds so didn't triple check the torque settings...), when heard the same klunking/metal groaning noise coming from front again about 1 week later, but still not as loud as before. Checked the manual, realized I had to tighten the front-most mount-through-transaxle bolt to 75 ft-lbs. Did that, and noise went away.

About a week later, the same noise came back. I called the local dealer to find out the bolt sizes to replace the bolt (in case maybe threads had stripped?) and use anti-seize. Jacked up the car again, raised the engine a smidge, and checked all the bolts to see if any were loose again. The rear vertical and horizontal bolts were fine. The front vertical bolt spins in place but isn't tightening OR loosening (with hand-tool OR impact tool), and there is some play in the dampener (hockey puck thing) which had otherwise been snug and still.

Photos attached!
Any one have this happen before? Suggestions? A friend mentioned a heli-coil..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
trying to post picture.. keep getting server error. Will try again later, or can email pic to anyone with ideas/suggestions/familiar with this happening!

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
In a few words, the bolt in question threads into the engine block? If so, then yes you'll have to do whatever it takes to get that bolt out and remove whatever is in the way and have a helicoil thread installed into the affected thread hole.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
trying to post picture.. keep getting server error. Will try again later, or can email pic to anyone with ideas/suggestions/familiar with this happening!
I keep selecting a file but the server isn't letting me upload either a JPEG or png. Both only 2 MB. FfffffffML

The bolt threads through the dampener, transaxle frame, into the threads of the motor mount. The motor mount has a rear vertical bolt that goes through the transaxle frame and threads into the back of the mount. This is only connecting the mount to the subframe.

·
Premium Member
6,858 Posts
The server for our site and sister forumz are having issues about posting pics...I hope the admin is working on it!
Now that I understand a bit better, that bolt going into the subframe which has a "captive nut that has broken loose and spinning inside that frame area. Not sure on your model, but some use a clip fastener to hold that nut and are replaceable once you can get things apart. others use a welded tab on the subframe to hold the nut, and they are a real pain to work with when a situation like yours happens...but still can be cured !

1 - 6 of 6 Posts