Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I haven't looked under the car yet or at all really but can anyone provide the location of where the fuel filter is? I want to change that out to see if its part of or my main issue with the acceleration. Did an oil change yesterday which helped, but the problem is still there.

I will be replacing my battery and spark plugs real soon so I'm sure that will help. The 105+ degree heat out here hasn't done me any favors either lol.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What kind of issues are you having. Please give more details such as engine and mileage.

Filter is actually a metal screen attached to the fuel pickup on the fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pump can be accessed by removing the bottom of the back seat and then removing an access panel to get to the pump. Or do it the hard way by having very little gas and drop the tank.

A 2012 battery should be okay, I would just have it load tested at a parts supplier or garage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies for the long post but figured I'd give as much info as necessary to get the best advice.

The best way I can describe the issue is that I feel hesitation on the acceleration. Especially when I hit the gas. For a second or two the response isn't as high and then it kicks in(without pushing the pedal further). Even seems that the gear shift timing might be off slightly.

It has been more noticeable in the middle of the day when it's been blazing hot, but I've still noticed it even in the not so hot temps at night.

I'm no pro or even a scholar in automotive. I'm admittedly going at this semi-blindly.

SIDE NOTE: May be related or not,...But several months ago, I thought I fried the ECM or some module when I let someone else handle the work of jumping their car with mine. Wouldn't go over 2000rpm and the shop couldn't get a OBD reading. Thought it was related to above issue until the same shop got a reading.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
You still haven't identified your engine and mileage. I would try a ecm reset by disconnecting power at either the battery or at the communing terminal for some of the other issues. You can also do the gas pedal recal to help on that end. One thing to do when doing a boost with someone is to have the engine in the off position to avoid some of the spikes to the system as our cars are very fussy over voltages.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger SE 2.4 L engine I’m having issues starting my car up when it sits for a long period of time, when I start it up it sometimes whirl for a sec and makes a choking sound as it starts up I changed the air filter spark plugs, ignition coils, changed the oil and I’m still getting this issue no codes are on display so I’m trying to see what the issue is. I’m at 109,000 miles if anyone has a solution please let me know

·
Registered
2 Posts
2013 dodge avenger just completely shut off on me while driving down the road at 50 mph. Lost power steering and had to muscle it to.a parkinglot when I noticed I had no power. Shut the car off and back on and it started right up. I dont know if this is an issue with the fuel we had gotten a little earlier or what?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Could be many things, difficult to say with a single occurrence. If you have an OBD reader, scan for any codes that may have been triggered.

·
Registered
40 Posts
2013 dodge avenger just completely shut off on me while driving down the road at 50 mph. Lost power steering and had to muscle it to.a parkinglot when I noticed I had no power. Shut the car off and back on and it started right up. I dont know if this is an issue with the fuel we had gotten a little earlier or what?
Mine has done that 1 time and never since. Never figured out the cause. I was on a high way in fast heavy traffic so I had to throw it in neutral and crank while coasting. If you have to do that at 70ish mph quickly rev your engine up to 4000 rpms release the gas completely and then shift it into drive right as the rpm starts to fall. Let the car adapt to the load before you give it gas and it won't try to yank the wheels off.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hello I have a 2012 Dodge Avenger SE 2.4 L engine I’m having issues starting my car up when it sits for a long period of time, when I start it up it sometimes whirl for a sec and makes a choking sound as it starts up I changed the air filter spark plugs, ignition coils, changed the oil and I’m still getting this issue no codes are on display so I’m trying to see what the issue is. I’m at 109,000 miles if anyone has a solution please let me know
Have you run fuel system cleaner in the last 20k miles? It sounds like it's either not getting enough fuel or getting too much air. In the engine bay there are 3 vacuum hoses. 2 on the front of the intake manifold and one on the back of the intake manifold must be connected or the car will not run properly at all and will act as you described. Just check the hoses for holes and make sure it's all connected well. It will be a really big hole to make the engine mess up that badly. The vacuum tube on the back of the manifold connects on the left top of the engine and goes down toward the starter. You should be able to check it visually but you can just wiggle it out and back in. It's a bit of a pain getting it back in cuz you can't get a hand to the rubber fitting it pushes into. Also pull your vacuum sensor on the front of the intake manifold and check for debris inside it. Don't insert anything cuz it will break the sensor, just look for build ups of dirt or oil that might be causing it to think there is vacuum present this not throwing codes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Could be many things, difficult to say with a single occurrence. If you have an OBD reader, scan for any codes that may have been triggered.
Its happened twice with only one shut off. I did the obd code reader only code it throws is the brake switch stuck on. Check engine light is on but no other codes are present. Whenever you lay into the accelerator its jerks a few times then tries to catch up.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Have you done any servicing recently.....plugs, clean throttle body, etc?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts