Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can smell it both inside and outside of the vehicle. Mechanic said it would be about 400 to drop the tank and find it. I haven't had any error codes, just the scent.
Any suggestions besides call several mechanics ?

·
Premium Member
6,758 Posts
Have to ask, Is it an outright puddle leak or gas fumes you just smell. Is this constant or only when you fill up? How long has it been doing this and any special circumstances(weather, hit something,scraped the bottom of the car) when this happened?
If you can not do basic answers or suggested checks, then yes call around and give them the info, I've asked you of here and ask for their labor rate for a diagnosis/and or repair.
Look forward to hearing back from you, and good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have to ask, Is it an outright puddle leak or gas fumes you just smell. Is this constant or only when you fill up? How long has it been doing this and any special circumstances(weather, hit something,scraped the bottom of the car) when this happened?
If you can not do basic answers or suggested checks, then yes call around and give them the info, I've asked you of here and ask for their labor rate for a diagnosis/and or repair.
Look forward to hearing back from you, and good luck!
Mechanic said it was not on the bottom. The tank would have to be dropped to find it. He said he has had previous issues with the plastic gas tanks Cracking before but couldnt tell me the cost of repair until he found it.
That being said I could not pin point the exact time or cause because the first week I noticed it I just thought It was because I smelled gas from the near by gas station, or spilled a little on the car while filling up. So I would have to say it was a gradual thing that got worse. Freezing temps and not driving with my windows rolled down made it more noticeable.
As far as a puddle..well, I live in the country and park in the grass at work anytime I saw a puddle under my car it did not have a scent. ( usually from frost )
I can say it effect the gas gauge for a few days. It was reading full for a couple days , then would fluctuate or drop visibly quick. So not really trusting it atm. I spend alot of time in the car between drive times and about an hour and half idle time combined when not actively working. So, I tend to watch the gauges out of boredom while thinking.lol sorry it is so long. Thank you for you input.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
It could be the seal around the fuel pump that sits in the gas tank. You can pull out the back seat bottom to access it(it just pops right up). There maybe something visually obvious when you pull the seat out. Could also be the fuel line connection at the pump/tank.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts