Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 201 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
R/T - sticker says 16 (16.9) I'm taking it on the raod for the first time over the Thanksgiving holiday... I pray that there's sunshine the entire trip:Racing:. I'll post my HWY MGP when I get back.

·
Registered
565 Posts
08 Aventer R/T

I have now racked up around 900 miles on mine I got 22.9 MPG on my first tank. It was 3/4 full when I bought it and i didn't fill up until i ran that out so I've only been able to calculate MPG once so far.

Oh and mine is FWD.

*** UPDATE 11/16 ***
I filled up on my way home tonight and I got 24 MPG on the nose.

- Dan M

Reactions: Sphinx

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a SXT Avenger with the 2.7L V6, I do a combination of driving in city and highway. I average around 26.5 mpg, if I get on the highway between 28-29 mpg.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have a RT and drive approximently 300+ miles per week. My mileage started off a little low at 18 but has since picked up. The last tank I got 20.5 mpg, and thats mixed driving, lots of stop and go because of rush hour in the morning and at night. I rarely get to mash the pedal because of traffic as well.

I'm at 4000 miles now, and just recently added air to my tires. When warmed up, the evic reads about 34 psi. I know the door says 32 psi, but honestly, unless your pumping in 50 psi or something over whats rated on the sidewall you need not worry. I would estimate this tank with the higher pressure at 21 mpg, maybe more. I think thats pretty good for the type of driving I do.

Typically my fuel light comes on at about 275-285 miles into a tank, which I typically run up to 305-310 miles per tank before the refill. When I refill I constantly notice that I'll have 1.5-2 gallons left in the tank. I base this on 16.9 gallon tank, where I can only fill to 15 or 15.5 gallons. At 20 mpg, that would put me right about 330-340 miles per tank.

Since the air pressure increase, my fuel light didn't turn on until an amazing 300 miles in. I think I'm already near 310, and I could probably get to 350 or more easily, though I rather not run out, so I'll probably fuel up and calculate the mpg on my way home tonight.

If anyone wants to try, I would recommend at least 32 psi in all 4 tires when cold, and then after driving and warmed up, check either with a guage or the evic to verify 34 psi. I think mpg wise, you will be pleasantly suprised. I noticed no decrease in handling.

When I had my magnum, it was the same way only worse, I needed probably 34-36 psi to get decent mileage in that car and it still wasn't as good as the avenger, and I had the 3.5l engine in that too. The sticker there listed 32 psi, and that KILLED my gas mileage as well as making that car handle like junk. Heavier car, RWD plays a part but tire pressure really was key to that one imo.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Good Info, I actually had my tires at 34psi when it started getting cold here... I would notice that in the morning, while it's cold, the low psi meter would come on and it'll say one xx when I get in the car but by the end of the day it'll say a higher number. right now I'm currently at 34psi and have yet to monitor my mpg.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Good Info, I actually had my tires at 34psi when it started getting cold here... I would notice that in the morning, while it's cold, the low psi meter would come on and it'll say one xx when I get in the car but by the end of the day it'll say a higher number. right now I'm currently at 34psi and have yet to monitor my mpg.

This is what precipitated my filling up the tires. The TPMS sensors were going off when it got cold, and when I looked they were actually running a little low to begin with...they went off at about 26-27 psi. They would warm up when I drove to about 30-31. So I filled them up to 32 with my handheld gauge and then checked after driving to work one day and the evic read 34 psi. Cold they seem to be right on about 31-32 psi.

I may even increase them again, but it varies with the weather. Of course nitrogen isn't supposed to vary as much, but its harder to find a place to fill them when you need to. So I haven't gone that route yet.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well I filled up yesterday and much to my own suprise I was up to 21.57 mpg! :) So the air pressure can have a drastic affect on gas mileage.

I've stopped resetting the avg mpg on the evic because I think it becomes more accurate if you leave it alone. When I did reset it, it was always about 3 mpg off or more, now its only about 1 mpg off. I always check my mileage using math anyways. ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I know a lot of members are wondering if they are getting the MPG that other Avenger owners are achieving. Let us know what you are getting and make sure you specify what version you have if its not included in your vehicle profile.
with my bone stock SE, I'm averaging about 32mpg with 99% highway miles. Of course I also drive like a granny and never take it over 80mph. :eek:ld:

·
Registered
6 Posts
All good info. What not only a great site, but a great forum.

I have a RT FWD and I'm not certain what I get so I'll definitely give it a shot. I typically drive 30 miles a day and I have already racked up 4000 miles. (Thank god for my lifetime warranty)

I did notice that I am not getting the best mileage in the world. The air pressure gage came on and I took it to a tire place which said all tires were 10lbs low. After that I have noticed my fill-ups last longer.

Another thing that hurts my mileage is that I am a resident of southern California and I really believe that I need to get my air filter replaced because of smoke from the wildfires. I'll post another update soon to show my mileage and then again when I get my air filter replaced.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ya, 10lbs low would really make a difference. When mine were coming on they were only about 5 lbs or so (i think) and I really saw a difference.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mileage

I will be going to Greensboro, NC this weekend and will be monitoring my mileage. When I get the chance I will post my findings. Looking forward to comparing it to the mileage I got with my last car. I was getting between 22 to 24 city and 32 to 33 hwy in my 2003 Neon.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Mileage

Ok driving to Greensboro and back I got 25 MPG. About 1/3 of the way back I filled up and started reset my trip meter. This trip was my first tank of gas. My gas mileage should go up after a couple thousand miles.

·
Registered
565 Posts
3rd fill up

on my 3rd fill up I got 23.6 MPG.

08 R/T FWD

- Dan M

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Steve do not be fooled by their claims. Always go with a company thats been around for awhile and has spent alot of money on R&D. A $10 chip is just a $10 pos chip. Jet has a Stag1 and Stag2 performance chips for our Avengers. Even though they are not cheap, they do work as claimed. I had one in my Dakota 4.7L V8, it was a Stag2. It did make a big difference in HP and TQ. Because it was a Stag2, I had to go with an CAI and true duals. With a Stag1, all you should do is get an CAI system. I have the Stag2 and a custom made CAI and a Flowmaster 40 series muffler for my Avenger just waiting to be put on. I will be posting my findings soon on the setup I have. So, just wait and keep watching for my posts and pics in a month or two.

1 - 20 of 201 Posts