Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this, yesterday i went to my sister house and I parked on a very slight downhill slope and when I got ready to leave the car wouldn't shift out of park. I tried taking the frame off and I used a flathead screwdriver to pull the pink piece back and tried to shift to no avail. My mechanic is about 30 miles away so I was trying to avoid a tow but now that's looking like the only option. I wanted to know if there was another trick or if I'm just out of luck. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Is there any way you can rock the car back slightly and chock a wheel to take the preload off the trans park pawl inside the trans. and the try to start and shift the gears? Not sure of the actual cause of your trouble, but the statement of park downhill incline brought on this idea.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Were you pressing the brake while trying to move the pink lever? I don’t remember if I had to do that on the Sebring or not when it broke. If it’s pre ‘11 there is a really cheap part from the dealer to fix it if the pink lever is actually the culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help, I ended up calling aaa and when the guy came he used his knife and popped off the pink piece on the passenger side which revealed a black switch. He said the switch was supposed to run under the gear shift to the driver side( the pink piece I was pressing) but it didn't. I was able to avoid the tow and drive the car to my mechanic. Once again thanks, ill def be getting a wheel chock to keep in my trunk just in case.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts