Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! New Avenger owner here. I just bought a used 2010 that had the shift cable replaced shortly before I bought it. The odd problem that I'm having is that the horn goes off constantly if the handbrake is pulled, and the ignition is in the on position. I hadn't noticed this when I bought it, as I didn't pull the handbrake until I had a chance to pull apart the rear breaks and thoroughly inspect it (I've been burned too many times in the past by a bad handbrake while living here in the rust belt). The best I can deduce is that there may be a sensor plug that goes from the handbrake to the transmission selector that may be plugged in backwards, or in a wrong plug socket, from the cable being replaced. This car also does have an aftermarket remote start installed, that has offered no issues, but since it does tap into the horn wire that comes from the instrument cluster to the firewall, I did want to mention that.

Would anyone have a schematic of the wiring that includes the handbrake position sensor, so I can hopefully track this issue down? I'm hoping to install an aftermarket stereo before the end of winter into this car, and won't be able to access its setup menu if the horn is blaring the entire time. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Hello and welcome! Great to have you with us.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
So difficult to sort through and find a solution to a problem that a previous owner has caused:(

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Here's a diagram of the hand brake and switch. I'll try to find a wiring diagram:

1. Disconnect the wiring harness connector (1) from the parking brake switch (2).

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz! What part of the "rust belt" are you in?
With an after market RS, I'd go "old school" and disassemble the console enough to track the PB wire harness to see what may be "tapped" onto it.
God luck and keep us posted . :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the diagram, it'll be a big help when I do some investigating tomorrow! I'm over in WI, btw, so not looking forward to "road salt" season starting soon. I'm pretty confident that I can find it (prior electronics repairman here), but zeroing in on it is going to be a big headache.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Thanks for the diagram, it'll be a big help when I do some investigating tomorrow! I'm over in WI, btw, so not looking forward to "road salt" season starting soon. I'm pretty confident that I can find it (prior electronics repairman here), but zeroing in on it is going to be a big headache.
No problem, best of luck sorting it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts