Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have mygig without nav system and all my songs, pictures are gone hd crashed will not copy mp3. Phoned my dealer still waiting for a call back what will they do about it new hard drive or brand new radio . My r/t only has 1000 km's on it me the first with this problem ?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I stated in another thread that the hard drives won't last long as they're not designed to endure the temperature changes and humidity being outside.

Chances are they'll just replace the hard drive and you'll be back to normal. I would definately ask to keep the old hard drive as you should be able to hook it up to another computer and access the information on it if its the boot sector that is damaged. If the electronics are damaged on it you may be able to find an identical HDD and put the electronics on it to get your data back.

You could also buy a larger HDD and have them install it.. say a 100GB for around $75-$85. Then you would have a lot more space.. but you'd lose the warranty on it.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
That sucks, I hope you backed up your info. That's one reason I hesitate to get rid of my cd's, even though they are all now on my computer and mp3 player.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think that there are several factors that would make the hard drive crash, temp changes and humidity have been said already, but I wonder how the hard drives take the bouncing around all the time. I'm looking to get the Pioneer Avic-Z2, it's has a 30gig hard drive for navigation and 10 gigs are for Mp3's and other stuff. I'd be worrying about the same thing happening to that. I think they should start using solid state drives more now, they are using them in laptops now, no reason that they cant do it in these scenarios too!!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Mine hasn't crashed but I did notice the other day while cold that the song I was playing was getting all staticy. I found that to be quite odd, because it did go away.

As with anything new, you never know whats gonna happen I guess. Thankfully all is still under warranty.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The dealership is getting me a new mygig because of the hard drive crashed . I will let you no how it goes.

Happy new year to all.
Don't be surprised if they do not replace the unit but fix it at is a known problem with the HDD crashing and now engineering has come up with a software fix the dealers are being instructed to fix rather than replace the units.
Had mine done in December and it works great now.
The information is easily re-loaded using the USB drive.

My navigation stuff takes up less than 2 gigs of space and my music and pictures just 4 gigs -- my system shows 13 gigs available.
I think anyone who's system shows a preinstall taking up 12 gigs or more should have it checked: seems like a reporting error rather than the actual size of the files on the HDD.

Harmon Kardon have a major upgrade planned for mid-January and are tracking these early bugs to have them rectified in the next software upgrade.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
My navigation stuff takes up less than 2 gigs of space and my music and pictures just 4 gigs -- my system shows 13 gigs available.
I think anyone who's system shows a preinstall taking up 12 gigs or more should have it checked: seems like a reporting error rather than the actual size of the files on the HDD.

Harmon Kardon have a major upgrade planned for mid-January and are tracking these early bugs to have them rectified in the next software upgrade.
I'll talk with the harmon becker guys about this when I get my update sometime after MLK day, because mine only showed 8 gb's available last time.

Aside from that, welcome to the forums, and I have a question for ya. Being that you are from Canada, do you have the US maps loaded into your navigation as well as the Canadian ones? I know I have both US and Canada, so I'm just wondering if that could be the difference in hard drive space?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.