Dodge Avenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey guys. Just joined the site a couple days ago but I've had my 98 avenger es for a while now that I bought from my best friend for $500 running and driving. It has been sitting for a few years now due to an accident and having other vehicles to keep maintained but I'm fixing to get it going again so I will probably be on here trying to get advice from you guys that have experience with these cars.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Hey guys. Just joined the site a couple days ago but I've had my 98 avenger es for a while now that I bought from my best friend for $500 running and driving. It has been sitting for a few years now due to an accident and having other vehicles to keep maintained but I'm fixing to get it going again so I will probably be on here trying to get advice from you guys that have experience with these cars.
there are only a very few of us left active here as the Coupe has been long out of production, and were not a lot of them made.
Welcome aboard!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Not yet but soon. I was able to drive it home after that. One of the things that has kept me from getting it fixed before now is the fact that the header panel is welded in and couldn't find a donor but finally talked to a frame and body shop and they said that they could pull it back out for around $250 - $300 so it will be going to them soon. Then i will just have to replace the hood, fender and maybe the front bumper cover. That wreck happened back in February of 2017 and it has been parked since so it's time to fix it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Welcome to the site! Feel free to reach out to me if you need help. I'm currently rebuilding the engine in my 97 Avenger (6G73).

·
Registered
27 Posts
I will never deal with walmart again on tires. Went to my friends house yesterday where my car is at and put in on jack stands and pulled all 4 wheels off to take and get the factory 215/50/17 inch tires put on my rims. The first wally world took forever even though they weren't busy and to top it off the guy doing them put a hole in the sidewall of the first brand new tire so all I could get was 3 tires cause they didn't have another one. The second wally world I went to to get the matching tire busted my center cap cause he was trying to take it out the wrong way. My son was saying it's not a big deal but he doesn't understand that it's damn near impossible to find one of them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To help with the count, still have and drive our 2000 Avenger that was bought new. Just under 230000 miles on mostly OE parts. We have done the normal maintenance, (tune up, oil change, brakes, timing belt, tires etc) The transmission was rebuilt at about 60000 due to a lock pin shearing off, right front hub replaced and the distributor. Beyond that, the car is for the most part original.
Ok, I did lower it and changed the wheels but to anyone that does not know about the car it looks 100% stock and are shocked to find out that it is a 20+ year old design.

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
Looks like you got a great deal, congrats:cool:

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
What is the bumpers on our cars made of?
A type of polyurethane plastic as most all vehicles are "post real bumper" cars.
IF yours needs "mending" try JB weld for PLASTICS for torn repairs. I used it for a rip in the rear "bumper" of mine and have a thread here somewhere about it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
A type of polyurethane plastic as most all vehicles are "post real bumper" cars.
IF yours needs "mending" try JB weld for PLASTICS for torn repairs. I used it for a rip in the rear "bumper" of mine and have a thread here somewhere about it.

That or you can try fiberglass and body filler.
Just make sure to use fiberglass matt and not chop. Chop us for filling voids, Matt is for structure.

And of course, do the fiberglass repair on the inside for the best results

·
Registered
27 Posts
I looked at the thread u had about the bumper repair and saw that you were asking about the wrap for the top and thought I would let you know that I ordered the kit from dipyourcar to do my avenger when I get the damage fixed. I am going to do it in flat black and as soon as they get the burnt copper wheel kits back in stock get that for my wheels. But I will have to try that jb weld stuff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I still have both my '98's. I loaned the white one to my daughter while I rebuilt the engine in her Maverick and the radiator cracked while she was on the interstate and the engine over heated and blew the head gasket. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild the 420A or do the 3.0 swap. Which means engine, transaxle and computers. Now that I see that in writing, I think the 4 banger gets rebuilt. lol

41 - 60 of 66 Posts