Dodge Avenger Forum banner

HELLO...are any COUPES still out there?

6K views 87 replies 13 participants last post by  Diallady 
#1 ·
It is turning into a LONG, LONELY WINTER not hearing from any COUPE owners. With most now being 19+ years old, am I the only one still daily driving this great model?
I would surely love to chat about our experiences with another COUPE owner or two!

#38 ·
Easy job. Hardest part on my lowers was the bolts into the subframe due ton NY RUST, was afraid they were going to either strip out or snap. But with careful work all went well! My uppers are still orig. and doing fine. Friday I'm changing the front struts(blown out). Got a KYB strut kit that includes the upper mount bushings and jounce stopper for $116.00+ shipping from rockauto. Also replacing my rotors and upgrading from semi met. pads to ceramics(lot less brake dust)!

#42 ·
Hey guys. Just joined the site a couple days ago but I've had my 98 avenger es for a while now that I bought from my best friend for $500 running and driving. It has been sitting for a few years now due to an accident and having other vehicles to keep maintained but I'm fixing to get it going again so I will probably be on here trying to get advice from you guys that have experience with these cars.

#47 · (Edited)
Not yet but soon. I was able to drive it home after that. One of the things that has kept me from getting it fixed before now is the fact that the header panel is welded in and couldn't find a donor but finally talked to a frame and body shop and they said that they could pull it back out for around $250 - $300 so it will be going to them soon. Then i will just have to replace the hood, fender and maybe the front bumper cover. That wreck happened back in February of 2017 and it has been parked since so it's time to fix it.

#50 ·
I will never deal with walmart again on tires. Went to my friends house yesterday where my car is at and put in on jack stands and pulled all 4 wheels off to take and get the factory 215/50/17 inch tires put on my rims. The first wally world took forever even though they weren't busy and to top it off the guy doing them put a hole in the sidewall of the first brand new tire so all I could get was 3 tires cause they didn't have another one. The second wally world I went to to get the matching tire busted my center cap cause he was trying to take it out the wrong way. My son was saying it's not a big deal but he doesn't understand that it's damn near impossible to find one of them.

#51 ·
To help with the count, still have and drive our 2000 Avenger that was bought new. Just under 230000 miles on mostly OE parts. We have done the normal maintenance, (tune up, oil change, brakes, timing belt, tires etc) The transmission was rebuilt at about 60000 due to a lock pin shearing off, right front hub replaced and the distributor. Beyond that, the car is for the most part original.
Ok, I did lower it and changed the wheels but to anyone that does not know about the car it looks 100% stock and are shocked to find out that it is a 20+ year old design.

#56 ·
A type of polyurethane plastic as most all vehicles are "post real bumper" cars.
IF yours needs "mending" try JB weld for PLASTICS for torn repairs. I used it for a rip in the rear "bumper" of mine and have a thread here somewhere about it.

#59 ·
I still have both my '98's. I loaned the white one to my daughter while I rebuilt the engine in her Maverick and the radiator cracked while she was on the interstate and the engine over heated and blew the head gasket. Trying to decide if I want to rebuild the 420A or do the 3.0 swap. Which means engine, transaxle and computers. Now that I see that in writing, I think the 4 banger gets rebuilt. lol

#62 ·
Not much going on in the Avenger world with our Coupe. She is in open hibernation on a cement slab while I try and figure out what to do with her. Needs a good bit of brake line and parking brake work along with minor rear plate light sockets. I'm afraid 23 years of Western NY weather has taken a toll to her undersides as the outer rockers are showing rust thru , though not too bad.
Between the wife's G6gt and the '11 Journey for my son along with my "does all" T&C...insurance is high enough to think of putting GEM back on the road. I'm also in process of getting a fully loaded '10 Buick Lucerne cxl for more of a daily driver for me than the T&C which is also showing long in the tooth lower body rust....but runs like a champ at 210k+ miles...BEST one grand car purchase I ever made!!!!!
Yeah the Chiefs were a HEARTBREAKER, but watch out for next season!!!! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.