Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from Finland and nice to meet you all! I'm new here but familiar with avenger-, and caliberforumz. So 2 days ago i bought 2008 Sunburst Orange Dodge Avenger SXT with 2.4L engine.
1. Since way back home from the place i bought it i've heard noise coming up front when turning for example in intersection. Its like "thunk thunk" and/or "tick tick". Today i noticed at red lights, that when i kept the car in DRIVE and hold it in place with brakes it made same kind of a noise but when i shifted it in NEUTRAL the noise stopped. So that made me think could it be drive shaft and not the rack and pinion? Could these also make sound like worn ball joints or tie rods? (clunking/rattling)
2. Other noise was squeaking sound coming from drivers side front when driving and turning right not so much when turning left. Could it be related to problems mentioned before or could it be just something touching on brake disks? I haven't had time or place to check them while its freezing out there.
Other than that it's so great looking car and when looking in rear side view mirror so you can see raising shoulders, it feels like driving a Charger! Thank you everyone already upfront. :)

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Finland....very cool. It sounds like a CV joint might be worn when you hear that squeaking sound while turning.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you and thank you for the quick answer. Yeah if its not the ice under the car then i do hope its CV joint rather than R&P. Its quite expensive unit + labor. CV joints were around 60€ at Rockauto. What brand would you recommend? About 1,5 years ago i ordered BAW tie rods on my moms Caliber and they were completely worn in just one year. So just hint for all, avoid BAW tie rods.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
A HEARTY WARM WELCOME TO YOU !!

WOW FINLAND !!!

You said that it is FREEZING there , but first things first it really is best for a GOOD underneath visual inspection. I do know that the 08 had a problem with the A/C compressor and that it was for noise similar to what you describe . Check out some of our older forums postings , there are a lot of threads relating to your question . Good luck and let us all know how you fare with your new ride (some pics. would be nice also)

WOW FINLAND !!!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A HEARTY WARM WELCOME TO YOU !!

WOW FINLAND !!!

You said that it is FREEZING there , but first things first it really is best for a GOOD underneath visual inspection. I do know that the 08 had a problem with the A/C compressor and that it was for noise similar to what you describe . Check out some of our older forums postings , there are a lot of threads relating to your question . Good luck and let us all know how you fare with your new ride (some pics. would be nice also)

WOW FINLAND !!!!
Thank you. I wait till weather gets warmer, if i'm not able to take it to the shop or so. And yes pictures will be coming in some point:D I've thinking of adding some interior strip trim to add some color and separate the light and dark grey interior colors to add some contrast. Oh and yes when fan is on i do hear some quiet whine but this whine i'm talking about is different and makes me more worrying because i bet it's related to suspension and brakes. Like Intrepid said it might be CV joint, and i do hope replacing them takes care of those noises.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Hello the knocking noise was also part of the compressor problem . Sounds like a good looking ride !

STAY WARM !!!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Not sure if MOOG makes the CV joints(they are more for suspension parts), but they make good quality parts. Cardone has some decent parts also.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello the knocking noise was also part of the compressor problem . Sounds like a good looking ride !

STAY WARM !!!
Ok im definitely gonna check that out. But was it caused by gear in drive or while turning and driving? Because there ain't no noise when its parked in neutral.
I will stay warm, it has seat warmers :D

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not sure if MOOG makes the CV joints(they are more for suspension parts), but they make good quality parts. Cardone has some decent parts also.
Yes we have used moog suspension parts on our Caliber but haven't seen any moog CV joints so i guess they don't make them. I will check out the Cardone ones. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
Hello,

You said that you have also had a Caliber? I can not give you the specific TSB /RECALL but I am sure it is in this forum somewhere (how I know about it). take some time some COLD night and look around. Not saying it is your problem ,could be any number of things as stated earlier and Intrepid is also highly knowledgeable on such things.

GOOD LUCK !!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello,

You said that you have also had a Caliber? I can not give you the specific TSB /RECALL but I am sure it is in this forum somewhere (how I know about it). take some time some COLD night and look around. Not saying it is your problem ,could be any number of things as stated earlier and Intrepid is also highly knowledgeable on such things.

GOOD LUCK !!
Well mom now has her second Caliber both were chosen by me Thanks im goin' to check those out when i have time. I appreciate all the help.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
I believe you found the post I was referring to (been following you). [R/T front suspension knocking noise ...what is it] page 3 D. A. - GENERAL DISCUSSION . by toxic avenger.
As in that post there were MANY things suspected as root cause of the problem . PATIENCE and complete inspecting along with full relating of when problem occurs ( A/C operating) are important .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes i found it. I also talked with the previous owner and he suspected it could be strut mount bearing. I think this is close what it sounds like.
although the whining sound can't be caused by this but it could be the brake pads touching the rotor. Today i jacked the front tire up and noticed that tie rod ends were shot and while car was lifted i noticed that when i spin the wheel i could hear grinding noise coming from brakes. Wheel bearings i think are ok because there ain't play or any loud rumble and the whining only happens when cornering, although i don't close that possibility out.

·
Premium Member
6,635 Posts
GOOD INVESTIGATING,

Hope all goes well and you nail down the problem . Too bad That I could not hop over there and EYE -BALL it myself.BEEN A LONG!!! time since I have been out of country !!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah :D Truth is that everything is fixable but at what cost. Gotta check out that in weekend if my springs are sticky.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check the cv half shaft going into the tranny. I just had mine repaired under warranty after battling with the dealership.
Well i took it to the shop today and i asked if my cv joints are bad. They aren't. They suspected it could be the shock mount bearing. Anyway thanks for the tip.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts