Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this site, so I don't know if this issue has already been addressed. I just bought a 1995 Avenger and I am having trouble with the alarm. For some reason unknown to me it just starts going off at random times. I can't even lock my doors while the car is at home or at work because the alarm seems to set no matter how I try locking them. Is there a simple way to make it where it won't arm, or if not, how can I completely disable it. If I do disable it, I realize that I will probably lose the functionality of my remote, but will the power locks still work? I'll put an aftermarket keyless on it a little later.
Can I just unplug the anti-theft module? For that matter, I don't even know where to find it on this car.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
You could disconnect the horn. The lights would still flash and your keyless remote would still work. And you can always yell out the window when you need to. :)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Is it the factory alarm or an aftermarket? If it is factory, you could pull the fuse if it has one, and if it is aftermarket, you could pull the fuse... lol. Seriously.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If it is factory they had problem with door switches going bad and causing the exact issue your speaking of, when the doors are closed you can wiggle the doors and see if the interioir light tries to come on or the switch is in the B-pillar of the door and held in by a phillips screw, remove it and check it with a ohm meter. if you fix it you wont have to disable it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a factory alarm. I have actually tried pulling the fuse marked anti-theft, but believe it or not, it still went off. Yeah, I don't understand that one either. I will check into the door switches, though I would just as soon disable it if anyone knows where I can find it.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
You should be able to disable it... get a Haynes guide... that should show you the wiring for the alarm. Just a thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar problem

My 1999 se door switches are ng so the footlights and rear courtsey light wont work even if i jump out the switch they plug into a etacs ecu module but where is this module i cant seem to find it. Haynes shows the anti theft also in line with interior lights

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
The alarm is likely one of two things , the door switches (most likely) or the switches in the door attached to the key switch
The Alarm is in the REAR drivers side panel VERY hard to axcsess
All you have to do to disable a factory alarm is ground the green/white wire in the drivers door (you can also find the wire in the drivers kick panel). Test to make sure you have the correct wire, as the parking light circuit is also green/white.

The green/white wire normally gets grounded when you unlock the door using the key (which disarms the factory
alarm). Permanently grounding that wire permanently disarms the factory alarm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The alarm is likely one of two things , the door switches (most likely) or the switches in the door attached to the key switch
All you have to do to disable a factory alarm is ground the green/white wire in the drivers door (you can also find the wire in the drivers kick panel). Test to make sure you have the correct wire, as the parking light circuit is also green/white.

The green/white wire normally gets grounded when you unlock the door using the key (which disarms the factory

What he said. That's what I did and it worked out for me, plus the keyless entry still works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
well i thank all of myou who put this up becuase i have the same problem i almost got arrested for theft becuase i dont have the title yet my father is a car dealer and doing all the paper work so again thank you very much

·
Registered
22 Posts

Is this definitely the green and white wire as that goes to the wing mirror? It's the brown and white that goes to the lock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts