Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem and I think it somehow a problem with the car (08 Avenger SXT). I am trying to hook up an amplifier and a pair of subs in the trunk.

Here is what I have done so far. I ran a 6ga wire directly from the battery posts back to the trunk and to the amp. I ran a 16ga remote power wire from an ACC wire under the dash back to the trunk and to the amp for remote turn on. I ran a 6ga wire from a chassis bolt in the trunk to the amp. This takes care of all power.

I spliced into the rear deck speaker wires and installed a Line Out Converted, also grounded to the chassis bolt in the trunk. Ran RCA wires from the LOC to the amp. Wired the subs to the amp.

This all sounds good at low volume. Here is the problem, when I turn the volume up the amp cuts out and quits playing. Power light is still on, but quits playing.

I thought the problem was the amp. So, I got another amp. The same thing is happening, with two different amps. They play at low volume but cut out when I turn it up.

Is there a power draw issue with my car? The amps are not that big. The first amp is only 250W RMS, and the second amp I tried was only 50W RMS, so they are not big power sucking amps. They both worked fine in my previous car driving the same set of subs.

Please help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also forgot to mention, I thought maybe there was a problem with the LOC, so the second amp that I tried had its own high level speaker inputs. So, I eliminated the LOC in the second setup. Same results.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hmm, not real sure but sounds like its "clipping"? Like its too much for the amp inputs so it just shuts it down....either that or maybe its somehow backfeeding into the stock system and it doesn't like it so its shutting it down as well.

I think there might be a special thing you need from pac audio to convert the signal to feed into your amp, but I also thought that was for systems that had amps already. So maybe the stock system (without BA) really does have an amp?

Its just odd because I wouldn't figure it to be a problem. Pretty basic stuff, unless you popped something on the amp somewhere? Maybe just for kicks, try running a ground wire all the way up to the battery and see if it helps. Just quick and dirty, to eliminate it as a problem. Maybe the grounds are isolated to different spots and something isn't happy about that..

·
Registered
44 Posts
the same thing happened to me. what i had to do was to rewire my ground in a better spot.also when you are installing an amp the amp will not cut off so you will have to install a kill switch for it. you can purchase on from autzone for about 5 bucks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts