Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 Avenger horn is going off randomly. I have had it to the Dodge dealer and he can't find the problem.
The battery was changed in the key fob and the fuse was changed. Even with the fuse out the horn still goes off. Can anyone help? Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Not a lot to go on as you posted. Do you mean the ALARM horn activates or just the horn intermittently "sounds off"?
And WELCOME to the Forumz, please stop by the Newbie Check In Page and introduce yourself and ride.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really don't know. The 1st time it happened I thought it was the alarm horn, but now it just sounds for no reason. I can be driving it goes off or I can be idling at McDonald's and the horn will blow. I turn off the car and walk away and the horn will go off and I haven't hit the lock button.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
The alarm horn will send a series of "honks" . The regular horn function or Safety notice(alarm enabled, doors locked), will sen either a single Honk or if a malfunction in the steering pad switch, could go off and send any length "honk". BUT NOT a repetitive series like the alarm.
To narrow down WHICH area to deal with to try and help you, we need to find that out from you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last night when I got in the car before I put the key in the ignition it just beeped 1 time. On my way home I was in 4 lanes of traffic and the horn blared like I was avoiding an accident and I didn't touch it. I put my hazards on and got over in to the right lane in case it did it again. It is just random sometimes it sounds low and then there are times like last night.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Now that is leading me to think that there is a problem in the horn pad(under the steering wheel air bag or the clock spring that carries the circuit from the steering wheel down into the column out to the horn.
Dealers do not like to spend the time diagnosing things to FIND the source of a problem, they prefer known remove and replace parts(gets expensive that way)! You would do well to ask friends about who does their auto maint. work and find a good independent shop to help you out.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2013 Avenger horn is going off randomly. I have had it to the Dodge dealer and he can't find the problem.
The battery was changed in the key fob and the fuse was changed. Even with the fuse out the horn still goes off. Can anyone help? Thanks
My Avenger (2008) has the EXACT same problem (started 2 days ago). Did you ever find the cause and fix for it?

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Like asked of the Original Poster, there are 2 ways for the horn to activate as posted. That person never responded or has been back to the Forum here. THE SAME RESPONSES GIVEN APPLY TO YOU...if you want help to come to a resolution of the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Like asked of the Original Poster, there are 2 ways for the horn to activate as posted. That person never responded or has been back to the Forum here. THE SAME RESPONSES GIVEN APPLY TO YOU...if you want help to come to a resolution of the problem.
Not very helpful, but thanks. I do hope that "tinyavenger" would respond though with an update. That would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
It is a VERY common occurrence on ALL auto forums that people post looking for answers for their individual car without giving proper background information, and then disappear with no return to give resolution of said problem. Most all auto forums are frequented and "driven" by owners of such forum vehicles, NOT master mind readers or having x-ray eyes or auto master technicians. Many though do have some automotive expertise, but need such information as this thread has asked for and come back BLANK.
If you can't give responses to questions for others here to try and help you, then I suggest you find a reputable independent shop(usually less costly than a dealer) to look at your problem and give you an estimate of what it would take to fix it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the answer to the problem!

With the car heater on (blowing down or on Auto), the heater heats up the key, which (after many years of doing this) causes the circuitry in the key to miscommunicate with the car's security system and causes the horn to honk arbitrarily.

I took my car into Big-O (which is GREAT here in Cedar City, UT) and they tested the battery and charging system and both are working perfectly.

The cure to this problem is (according to a Dodge Dealer mechanic is):
1. Have the heater blow heat up to the windshield instead of down to the floor (this way the key won't get too hot), or
2. Start using the spare key, or
3. Go to the dealer and pay a LOT of money to have the key replaced.

I am now doing #1 and #2 and now things are working fine.

This is for the 2008 Dodge Avenger with the big engine in it.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Thanks for coming back and sharing this info! Yes 12 years of use and vent positioning to be blowing at the printed circuit board in the FOB end can do weird things. :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Now that's funny... I could never get the heat hot enough in my 08 to stay reasonable warm. I can't imagine it doing damage to anything. :D

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Now that's funny... I could never get the heat hot enough in my 08 to stay reasonable warm. I can't imagine it doing damage to anything. :D
It also gets rather warm out in Utah in the summer...
I wouldn't think that this response is the "cure all" for ALL who post of this problem, many features of these cars have horn "tie in" that need to be pinpointed in tracking down such a problem as this threads title states. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
He's right something goes wrong in the key, I can't even use my remote anymore but it'll start it up n/disable the alarm no problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Here is the answer to the problem!

With the car heater on (blowing down or on Auto), the heater heats up the key, which (after many years of doing this) causes the circuitry in the key to miscommunicate with the car's security system and causes the horn to honk arbitrarily.

I took my car into Big-O (which is GREAT here in Cedar City, UT) and they tested the battery and charging system and both are working perfectly.

The cure to this problem is (according to a Dodge Dealer mechanic is):
1. Have the heater blow heat up to the windshield instead of down to the floor (this way the key won't get too hot), or
2. Start using the spare key, or
3. Go to the dealer and pay a LOT of money to have the key replaced.

I am now doing #1 and #2 and now things are working fine.

This is for the 2008 Dodge Avenger with the big engine in it.

OK, the above did not work, so ignore it.

I had steering column work done, again, no change.

The CURE is to replace the TIPM! Dealer wants over $1200 but you can get excellent rebuilt ones online for $295 and new ones for $400. I purchased a rebuilt unit and this cured the problem!

The problem was one of the relays in the TIPM which Dodge thought it a good idea to solder them in! So, a new TIPM is required to fix the problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts