Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Look at the wire bundle under the corner of the plastic engine cover. Is the cover cutting into the wire bundle?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Look at the wire bundle under the corner of the plastic engine cover. Is the cover cutting into the wire bundle?
im going to have to check that when i get the car back. unfortunately i had given up and dropped it off at a repair center this weekend to see what they could find. could you be more specific though? like what wire bundle and whats your experience with it? this seems to be such a huge issue with this car in general and no one has found a solid solution yet

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the exact same problem as you. My horn doesn't work. The horn/alarm will go off randomly.

As far as the wire bundle, I have the cover that says "2.4L"...the corner closest the filter box, it has rubbed a gash in the wire bundle. I'm not sure yet if that is causing any of this problem, but like you, I have searched all over the websites and forums and read everything from the clock spring in the steering wheel is causing it to the FOB getting hot when the heater is on (which is impossible). People replacing the TIPM to getting taken to the cleaners at the dealership and STILL have the same problem. I'll let you know what I find and hopefully you can let us know what you find out.

Still troubleshooting here....

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the exact same problem as you. My horn doesn't work. The horn/alarm will go off randomly.

As far as the wire bundle, I have the cover that says "2.4L"...the corner closest the filter box, it has rubbed a gash in the wire bundle. I'm not sure yet if that is causing any of this problem, but like you, I have searched all over the websites and forums and read everything from the clock spring in the steering wheel is causing it to the FOB getting hot when the heater is on (which is impossible). People replacing the TIPM to getting taken to the cleaners at the dealership and STILL have the same problem. I'll let you know what I find and hopefully you can let us know what you find out.

Still troubleshooting here....
Ok so yeah we're in the same boat. I'll let u know what they tell me tomorrow but most likely it will be bullshit. I replaced the tipm first because I knew I could do it cheaper and that they would recommend it anyway and mine was jacked up but it didn't fix it. I'm having them reflash everything because I ended up with a new one and go from there

·
Registered
7 Posts
How much was the TIPM? This is what you are having flashed?
Almost 300 for a rebuild of your own one and 390 for a brand new one. I was told that the main processor was on its way out and barely receiving enough voltage so it was not actually repairable and I had to buy a new one. they said 90% of the vehicles don't need to be reflashed and have the VIN added back to the tipm blah blah blah but of course mine ended up needing it. I can tell because every dash light was on and the gauge cluster was not working but the car did actually crank whereas before it was not wanting to

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow....okay, let me know how it goes because I'm about to pull out all of my damn hair.
Ok so unfortunately I do not have good news for u my man.. it spent a total of 4 weeks in 2 different shops.. 3 in one and 1 in the other and both were left scratching their heads. Even after installing the new fuse box everything was just terrible and only got worse and no one had an answer without me spending hundreds on more diagnostics to even hopefully find something they could start on. The dash went completely out.. no guages. I had to completely unhook the horns from the wiring harness because that was driving me insane. And then 3 days after picking it up it started shutting off mid driving 60 mph where everything locks up and was just too much of a safety hazard.. no one would buy it and so I just went and bought me another car. I can say she had quite a burial though.. parked it in the back of my buddies 38 acres, drained it of fluids and we lined up 9 people and shot it to my heart's content. I wish I had better news for you or an answer but no one can give one unfortunately. I wish I the best. And if u happen to want to shoot yours too please reply back to this thread and I'll be more than happy to help you with that. #riptheavenger

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Hahaha!

Blows goats that not one damn person knows of a fix for this.....
Yeah some problems just don't have definitive answers. Just like the push to start button and dash and info/tainment screen reactivating after shutting down and staying on killing the battery on my 2011 Journey! On the forum for that car has no sure answers either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK, the above did not work, so ignore it.

I had steering column work done, again, no change.

The CURE is to replace the TIPM! Dealer wants over $1200 but you can get excellent rebuilt ones online for $295 and new ones for $400. I purchased a rebuilt unit and this cured the problem!

The problem was one of the relays in the TIPM which Dodge thought it a good idea to solder them in! So, a new TIPM is required to fix the problem.
Which fuse in the tipm is connected to the horn there is 4 big black ones I'm trying to figure out which one to pull to keep horn from misfiring an blaring

21 - 33 of 33 Posts