Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.

Decided to start new thread about the front end popping noise that has been haunting my Avenger for over two years now since i bought it.
So lets begin, this popping comes from right front corner and happens even when driving over slightest road imperfection like asphalt joint. Left front corner makes same kind of noise sometimes but not over so slight imperfections.
The noise is best described as popping noise and it can't be felt in steering wheel or anywhere else.

All replaced parts are: Monroe quick struts (that includes bearing, strut mount and all), control arms, ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar to body bushings, sway bar links, wheel bearings and all 4 engine mounts.
Also all the body panels and all the parts in engine compartment have been checked for play and being tight. Brakes have also been checked for any play in caliper and such.
On top of that have tried washer under the strut rod nut and under strut mount if there was any gap like some older Mopar models had (such as Intrepid and 300m) when using Monroe QS's.

If i press down the car from the front even with very slight force it makes this one single pop. This pop can be felt on strut rod and mount when touching it by hand while pressing the car down. Doesn't make sense to me. Even changed to OEM Mopar strut bearing but made no difference.

Question is has anybody ever struggled with this kind of noise or anyone have any tips to give me since i'm running out of ideas.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
4,417 Posts
It could be your inner tie rod ends or rack and pinion Finn.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotta check those out closer and take off the dust boot but there is no play in steering what so ever.
Also i don’t have that common rack and pinion problem that many avengers have had that causes thumbing noise/feeling in steering when turning.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello.

Decided to start new thread about the front end popping noise that has been haunting my Avenger for over two years now since i bought it.
So lets begin, this popping comes from right front corner and happens even when driving over slightest road imperfection like asphalt joint. Left front corner makes same kind of noise sometimes but not over so slight imperfections.
The noise is best described as popping noise and it can't be felt in steering wheel or anywhere else.

All replaced parts are: Monroe quick struts (that includes bearing, strut mount and all), control arms, ball joints, outer tie rods, sway bar to body bushings, sway bar links, wheel bearings and all 4 engine mounts.
Also all the body panels and all the parts in engine compartment have been checked for play and being tight. Brakes have also been checked for any play in caliper and such.
On top of that have tried washer under the strut rod nut and under strut mount if there was any gap like some older Mopar models had (such as Intrepid and 300m) when using Monroe QS's.

If i press down the car from the front even with very slight force it makes this one single pop. This pop can be felt on strut rod and mount when touching it by hand while pressing the car down. Doesn't make sense to me. Even changed to OEM Mopar strut bearing but made no difference.

Question is has anybody ever struggled with this kind of noise or anyone have any tips to give me since i'm running out of ideas.

Thanks. :)
You ever get this fixed? Have an '08 that just started this. Much like yours, mine is fine during turns and no play in the steering wheel, but the slightest bumps make the noise. Actually, going down the highway at higher speeds on a smoother surface, I don't really notice it. But around town slower bumpier roads, it is crazy and seems to be only on the right front (passenger side).

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope still hunting it down, sadly.
Sounds like you are struggling with the same problem that i am. Have you had time to check it out at all?
Yes the noise can't be heard at all at higher speeds like 45mph or more.
That noise is indeed driving me crazy and the noise is like hollow popping noise which you can't feel anywhere in car, only hear it loud and clear.
How many miles on your Avenger?

·
Registered
10 Posts
All of done is take apart the calipers and re-grease and re-seat everything as I’ve read it could be loose brakes. Wanted to start buy not spending a bunch on something (struts, etc) that may be wrong. Read somewhere maybe here that they (? Dodge?) stayed that versus a rack and pinon they are staying an inner tie rod kit. I’ve found some kits (both inner and outer) starting at $40 for both sides. Local auto parts would run around $85 roughly may start there. But my next thing (this weekend) I’m going to check all bolts of all suspension as I’ve read of bolts becoming loose as well. I am just about to hit 166,000, so makes sense that things are starting to need replacing. :)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you checked your tie rods for any play?
You know, when car is up in the air you grab the tire from 9 and 3 o’clock and wiggle to feel for any play.
Loose rack maybe but then shouldn’t the noise come from both sides or from the middle of the car and not just from the right side?

Oh wow mine has only done 103,000 miles.

This is a mystery:rolleyes: LOL

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
When you had your wheels off and re-installed them, did you use a torque wrench to tighten them back up. Also after driving about 100 miles you should re-torque them again. You would be surprised at how many wheels will not totally seat the first time. This will cause a popping sound when they are not fully seated.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I doubt that's the case with Darren and definitely it's not the case with mine as i've had the noise over 2 years now and in that time i have removed and installed the tires many times including changing between summer and winter tires.

This winter my right front winter tire had suddenly came loose and was giving me a very loud like bad wheel bearing noise at highway speeds. Pulled over, checked lug nuts and tightened them immediately. But that's not the case with this popping noise.
I do understand what you are after.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts