Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did this when I first got my car in January 2009 on the A.C. Express & I haven't & won't be doing it again anytime soon lol. If you look closely around 0:09 you can see me just pass 115 mph for a quick second! Sorry for the bad quality this was filmed on my old phone & it only had a 1.3 mp camera. BTW shortly after Christmas my Avey is going to look nice! Well it already looks nice but I'm making it nicer! I just made a Youtube account pretty much just for my car along with random videos. As of right now I only have this video. My youtube screenname is the same as this forum's: mtavenger55 if you want to see the dorky side of me on youtube do a search for: coasterheadmatt lol. If you have a Youtube account feel free to subscribe or add me as a friend I accept anyone & pretty much respond to all comments. Well enjoy the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrJwQ1bL8zg

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Interesting to know about the SXT speed but, umm, the stock brakes aren't designed for that . ;)

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think my R/T peaked out around 112 or so. The manufacturer usually limits it to whatever tires they are putting on the car. Then you also have the +- % built in so some can say they are going 116 while others say 112, you won't really know until you get a GPS and use that or blow past a stationary radar station thingy, that is usually pretty fun, lol.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
Yeah it took a while for me to slow down lol.
If I was you I wouldn't hit your brakes when going that fast, you will destroy them. If you do this again try and coast down to a more reasonable speed before touching the brakes.

Fastest I ever did was 120-something in my old Firebird and that was with my stupid friend standing up in the passenger seat with his torso out of the t-top. Man, we were dumb when we where younger lol.

Could you tell you where going as fast as you where? With some cars it's hard to tell. In my Firebird it felt just like 70, like if you wheren't looking at the speedo you wouldn't know you where doing 120 lol. Other cars you get to 80 and they feel like they are going to come apart, lol.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
'73 Cutlass S, 115mph (needed solid state ignition), '73 Grand Am 130mph and still climbing (torque monster), '85 Diplomat Interceptor 125 mph and still climbing (318 4 barrel, forged steel crank), '73 Valiant 115mph and scary as hell (4 wheel drums).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I was you I wouldn't hit your brakes when going that fast, you will destroy them. If you do this again try and coast down to a more reasonable speed before touching the brakes.

Fastest I ever did was 120-something in my old Firebird and that was with my stupid friend standing up in the passenger seat with his torso out of the t-top. Man, we were dumb when we where younger lol.

Could you tell you where going as fast as you where? With some cars it's hard to tell. In my Firebird it felt just like 70, like if you wheren't looking at the speedo you wouldn't know you where doing 120 lol. Other cars you get to 80 and they feel like they are going to come apart, lol.
I could tell I was going fast lol. It didn't feel like the car was going to fall apart or anything but you could feel the speed. Yeah that's exactly how I slowed down. I let go of the gas & coasted for a bit, lightly hitting the breaks every now & then until I was back to the 65 mph speed limit lol. Thankfully there wasn't a cop on the road lol. Yeah I'm not doing that again unless, speaking of cops, I'm ever involved in a high speed chase because I'm hopefully going to be a cop soon lol.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Obviously these experiments have to be done where there's no chance of an on-ramp, intersection or other vehicles during the spurt. That being said, I found the Avenger brakes as being the weakpoint on my last Mopar cruise. I'll probably have lots of questions for you guys when I go to mofify the brakes. I've been reading up on high performance tires as well. Now after you (mtavenger55) said you could really feel the speed, I'm going to go ahead with adding the RT rear swaybar. I wasn't going to because I felt the lowering springs and strut brace gave me safe control. I guess you can't have too much of that.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I always give'er on my own private road.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Anyways ... no-one has ever said on this website it's ok to break the law. Hot-rodders have stories. It's part of our culture.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hope you go to jail and the pull your license especially doing this on a public roadway
I did this when I was 18, I just got my car & I wanted to see what it could do also there was no other cars on the highway when I did this. I don't street race or speed (well who doesn't go 5 or so mph over the limit). I found this old video & I thought you guys would enjoy seeing what Avengers can really do if you push them. Now these days I'm the last guy who would break the law considering I'm going to school to become a police officer to prevent stuff like this.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
These are still mickey mouse speeds,...............take a vacation to Germany, hire yourselve a nice car, drive to the Nurburgring, and you will have a great fun! Take the ring-taxi, driven around by a female, ...................best taxi drive ever.

Still 30% of Germany is without any speed limits!! You need to be carefull, but speeds over 130 miles an hour are rather easy to do.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
These are still mickey mouse speeds,...............take a vacation to Germany, hire yourselve a nice car, drive to the Nurburgring, and you will have a great fun! Take the ring-taxi, driven around by a female, ...................best taxi drive ever.

Still 30% of Germany is without any speed limits!! You need to be carefull, but speeds over 130 miles an hour are rather easy to do.
One of these days I will go to Germany, rent a Viper, & take her out on the Autobahn & just step on it lol. Montana also has high speed limits on their highways, that might be a more affordable trip lol. I smell a cross-country road trip when I get my Challey SRT8 in a few years lol.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My aunt got her license pulled for driving too slow in Quebec. There were (I'm assuming there still are) minimum speed limits on freeways.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well glad you had fun doing that. But for future reference, do not post videos that can be linked to you doing such things. I have no problem with you driving that fast. I think everyone in life has sped maybe not to 100+ mph but you get the point.

The problem with posting the video is that you can still get in trouble for it.
Ex. Cops, companies (future employers), friends or whoever else can check things such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or whatever source they can use to check on you. And if by chance they find out your YouTube account and see you have that video posted is could come back to harm you in the future.

Again idc that you were going that fast. It is fun to cut loose and have fun while driving from time to time as long as you can limit any forseen problems.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Well glad you had fun doing that. But for future reference, do not post videos that can be linked to you doing such things. I have no problem with you driving that fast. I think everyone in life has sped maybe not to 100+ mph but you get the point.

The problem with posting the video is that you can still get in trouble for it.
Ex. Cops, companies (future employers), friends or whoever else can check things such as Facebook, Twitter, Myspace, or whatever source they can use to check on you. And if by chance they find out your YouTube account and see you have that video posted is could come back to harm you in the future.

Again idc that you were going that fast. It is fun to cut loose and have fun while driving from time to time as long as you can limit any forseen problems.
Well if anyone actually ever pulled up this youtube video and wanted to get him in trouble with it, all he'd have to say is "That wasn't me driving, I just uploaded the video for my friend and said it was mine so I could seem cool" or some bs story. Pretty easy fix, posting videos like this can't get you in trouble lol

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well if anyone actually ever pulled up this youtube video and wanted to get him in trouble with it, all he'd have to say is "That wasn't me driving, I just uploaded the video for my friend and said it was mine so I could seem cool" or some bs story. Pretty easy fix, posting videos like this can't get you in trouble lol
Actually it can. Sorry but how do you think police start to figure out who they want to raid, follow, keep and eye on, look after. It's because people go on there social sites and post picture of themselves doing something illegal (i.e. drugs, racing, fighting, bullying, etc.). Doesnt matter what the story is. It just gives other people a reason to suspect you when something happens.

·
Registered
34 Posts
on the highway my stock sxt maxed the speedometer and was going a little faster. now i have mods and i can max it out no prob. of course im careful when i do this that theres no one around but thats easy considering i live in a fairly rural area.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts