Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 avenger es and I had to replace the cigarette lighter thats next to the shifter. I replaced the factory one with one that has the illuminated ring around the top. I plugged the wire from the ring into the little factory light socket for the original lighter. This is where the problem happened. As soon as I turned on my lights it sounded like something popped from behind the radio in the dash and when that happened my dash lights quit working. All the dummy lights and guages still work though. Anyone have any idea what could have popped that would keep my dash lights from coming on?

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
check for a blown fuse. I'd have to go out and look on mine to see if it has an interior fuse panel along with the under hood one.
Mine is currently BURIED under snow...where is your general area you're located?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The sound came from the area right behind where the radio is in the dash but I will check the fuses when I get a chance cause the car is at a friend's house since I live in an apartment and can only have 2 vehicles there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
There is a fuse panel up under the left end of the dash. There are also some fusible links. There is a red 10 amp fuse in position 12, that is for the ignition switch accessories. I would start there. This info came from a 1998 Sebring/Avenger factory service manual. I bought mine on the Bay of E, fairly cheap because I have two '98 Avengers and they are better than the one you can get at the auto parts store. The parts store books are great and have some really good info, but the factory books are more in depth, they were less than $25 for the pair. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked the fuses and they are all good. What is the box with all the wires plugged into it right behind where the radio goes?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had to remove the radio housing to find it but I think this is the module that was circled in that pic u posted. I hope this is my problem.

I picked up one from the junkyard yesterday and will try it today and see if it works.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Seems to be a lighting control module:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am going to try the one I got yesterday today after work and I will post if it fixed it or not. Got my fingers crossed lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
How are you at reading wiring schematics? I found the schematic for the cig lighter, but haven't found it for the dash lights yet. I'll try to scan what I find and post it. It may be a couple of days before I can get it done though. I want to look at the other manual and see if it has anything else listed. I also have a spare instrument panel in the shop. I'll try to get up there tomorrow and see if there are any fuses or relays in it that could be the problem.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did what you did and ordered me some factory service manuals. A couple strange things about the issue I'm having is that my ashtray light still comes on when I turn my lights on like it is supposed to and my o/d off light on the instrument cluster goes off when I turn my lights on and it's not supposed to do that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How are you at reading wiring schematics? I found the schematic for the cig lighter, but haven't found it for the dash lights yet. I'll try to scan what I find and post it. It may be a couple of days before I can get it done though. I want to look at the other manual and see if it has anything else listed. I also have a spare instrument panel in the shop. I'll try to get up there tomorrow and see if there are any fuses or relays in it that could be the problem.
Send me a pic of that cigarette lighter schematic if u can

·
Registered
42 Posts
here are the cigarette and accessory schematics. I had to work late last night and didn't get up to the shop to look at that dash. I'll Try to do that tonight or in the morning.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I remember correctly I think I tested the cigarette lighter illumination light socket back when this happened and without a bulb in the socket both wires were hot and I don't think they should be without a bulb connecting them or am I wrong in my assumption. I will have to check that again to be sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Both the cigarette lighter illumination light socket and the shifter light socket have power on both wires without a bulb in them when the light switch is on and nothing when its off.

·
Premium Member
6,806 Posts
Both the cigarette lighter illumination light socket and the shifter light socket have power on both wires without a bulb in them.
Sounds like the little lighter work you did was wired up wrong and overheated the wires so that insulation somewhere along melted and let power and ground connect to each other.
Have you opened up the console and inspected the wires? And also be sure of how you connected up to the replacement lighter unit.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I connected the lighter correctly but I'm wondering if something may have been wrong with the light socket to start with because I don't really remember it having a bulb in it when I removed the factory cigarette lighter. And the wire that came off the illuminated ring that i plugged into the little light socket had the u shaped end on it that normally goes under a screw but it was the power wire for the ring. And if I'm thinking correctly, if there was a small problem with the light socket wiring it would just blow the bulb and not cause the other lights to quit but with the end I plugged in to it it wasn't able to blow that connection so it blew the bad spot completely

1 - 20 of 23 Posts