Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so guess what after doing routine maintenance all hell as broke loose hahahah. This post is more so for any of y'alls thoughts

I've broken down and sending it to dealer Monday,

Recap 2011 avenger 3.6 145kmiles

Here's what it started as each code happened after fixing the other

I got evap code for gas cap, replaced it Fixed the code,

Got Bank 2 sensor 2 02code replaced both 02 upper and lowerr fixed code.

Got P0300 MUTLIPLE MISFIRE and P0302 cyl#2 misfire, replaced plugs and coils fixed p0300 code 3 days later p0302 came back.

Did leak down test and what from.i seen it had 0 leak down on cyl 2 so for shits and giggles did cyl#4 same no leak down which I thought was wrong an engine should have a little leak down but maybe I'm lucky and 1 of a million tightly sealed 3.6

Now I did do a block test and the blue liquid did turn a little green but if this was a head gasket issue wouldnt it still have leak down? (Between the block and head?) if the head gasket is causing misfire I would think it would leak down.

Now it's going to dealer for the left cylinder head test for warranty 10yr 150k ext warranty

I dunno just wanted to bounce it off anyone's minds here. I did do a search but it brought up alot for 2.4 or I did it wrong
I dunno I just fear sending to to dealer as Christmas time is here

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Sorry to hear of troubles you've encountered, nobody likes having car problems.
But in my automotive experience and opinions formed by it, Your troubles 1 and 2 are common and to be expected at mileage to have happened, and relatively minor happenings.
NOW problem 3 IS concerning to hear!
The statement of replacing plugs and coils and then getting misfire codes(didn't say you had them before), would lead me to wonder if you took the upper intake back off and rechecked your work for a damaged intake gasket or pinched injector wiring or such in line with the work performed.
Yes there was a recall for cracked cylinder head on the early 3.6 motor,It is a hard task to determine conclusively that on any aluminum head due to heating/expansion rates. The only way I've ever been able to conclusively determine is thru removal and a specialty auto machine shop test and examine a "questionable" head. On this point and that FCA knows (has a recall open) and the warranty you still have...at least you have an "ace up your sleeve" to help with a possible "low cost" remedy at this HOLIDAY season. :)

NOW can I please stop my head from being "bounced off of"?:D:rolleyes:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should have stated before changing 02 sensor theres was no misfire codes after changing them I had both p0300 and p0302 which inticed be to change the coils and plugs and I also changed the intake gaskets just incase.

I've pulled the intake 3 times once to change coils and plugs, 2nd to check for pinched wires or brain fart leaving things unplugged. 3rd time was to pull leak down test. But up until changing the 02 sensors never had a misfire code.

Now after watching the cam timing on bank 2 by chance does anyone know the normal spec ranged for the cam timing

The cam difference between exh 1 intake 1 versus exh 2 and intake 2

I just seen some odd number all were positive except exhaust 2 it was negative numbers

Like exhaust 1 4.3 intake 1 5.0

Exhaust 2 -0.5 intake 2 5.0

·
Registered
66 Posts
Oh dear lord, this makes me worried now :confused: I've had to replace my gas cap for a little while. Hopefully the following events don't happen to me too! Good luck with it though, hopefully it gets all figured out!

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Don't know how I missed seeing your last update @MitchTLUX . BUT with the oil pump trouble you had before, I would check into the oil control stuff for the VVT system. I'm not familiar with the "inner workings" of these gen. motors of the Sedan Avengers, but do know that the oil controlled VVT's on many modern motors are vulnerable to oil passage blockage(most of these type motors have some type of filter screen incorporated in them).

@100%Dodge : EVAP troubles have NO BEARING to these recent codes posted for misfire. If a gas cap does not fix your problem, then I suggest you get it to a shop and have them do a "Smoke Test" to find the leak. Make sure you take it in with a LOW fuel level in the tank.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Oh dear lord, this makes me worried now :confused: I've had to replace my gas cap for a little while. Hopefully the following events don't happen to me too! Good luck with it though, hopefully it gets all figured out!
@100%Dodge
No the evap is complete opposite system mine was or is just a series of unfortunate events do you know what code yours is throwing there is an oring on the gas cap the gets brittle that was the issue for mine.

Also I have two buddies that have an sxt and rt they both had the evap code for low leak gas cap that turned out being the breather hose on the filler neck, after replacing the gas cap if the code comes back check to see how loose the filler neck is when you grab the cap and wiggle it, theirs actually was from the movement cracking the brittle hose.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't know how I missed seeing your last update @MitchTLUX . BUT with the oil pump trouble you had before, I would check into the oil control stuff for the VVT system. I'm not familiar with the "inner workings" of these gen. motors of the Sedan Avengers, but do know that the oil controlled VVT's on many modern motors are vulnerable to oil passage blockage(most of these type motors have some type of filter screen incorporated in them).

@100%Dodge : EVAP troubles have NO BEARING to these recent codes posted for misfire. If a gas cap does not fix your problem, then I suggest you get it to a shop and have them do a "Smoke Test" to find the leak. Make sure you take it in with a LOW fuel level in the tank.

@5rebel9
I actually thought of that with the VVT system,

the dodge dealer has had it for almost 3 days now day 1 drop off, day 2 diagnose(computer) which they actually called and said it has a misfire hahaha "that's what its there for" they are supposed to be taking the intake down today,

something I've done 4 times for checks

But we all know dealer does everything by the step by step book and wont listen to what has been done. Understandable to a degree.

I'm starting to think it's something minor like my computer theirs said it has a misfire (example) it misfires once every 5 fires I'll update when they call.me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE @5rebel9

Dealer just called left cylinder head is bad 4 hairline cracks in the #2 cylinder exhaust valve seat, causing misfire

He said and I quote the hole chain of events from the

o2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2 below threshold code

P0300 multiple misfire/random

P0302 cylinder#2 misfire

P219B air/fuel all result of cracked valve seat

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Warranty, I hope for you! YUP, cracks at a valve seat can cause a valve seat to"walk" and hang the valve open, thereby a misfire. NOT something one could determine without a tear down to inspect for that kind of problem. I've not seen this kind of fault in a great many years, but I think I posted here of them having a known crack problem with the early 3.6 head.
I hope your Christmas Season goes better for you!:)

And thanks for keeping us "up to date" on the situation!;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WELL I GOT AN UPDATE, dealer had my car for 6 weeks for head replacement, they called said my car was ready to be picked up, I got off work and went straight to pick it up. Swapped keys and took the proud walk to get in hit the remote start button and a poof, engine shut down. Check engine light. Get in start it up with key pull codes. Cylinder 2 misfire , cars misfiring bad worse then when I took it there, pull up front walk in said the check engine light is still on and its misfiring, exact words to me was" the tech said it was preexisting issues, I went off I brought it to them due to misfire and yall telling me it's fixed wtf. He said we can. Ring it back in and diagnose it.... are you serious wtf was it there for.. yall said it was the head, so now what.... I've been diagnosing this thing for 2 weeks swapped injectors, swapped coil packs, plugs swapped my old o2 back in just to see any changes, compression test cold was #2-130 #4-135 #6-130 .... I'm stumped dealer is blowing me off they wont even tell me if I can get a wiring diagram. Just to check all wiring. I don't know what else to do....

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Run it as high up the stream in FCA even if it means writing to the president. Someone has to listen. If that doesn't work feed it to the press. They like getting stories like this to run up the pole.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts