Installing Fog Lights on a SE

Discussion in 'Custom Interior and Exterior Lighting' started by Quiet Lunatic, Aug 1, 2009.

1. Quiet Lunatic

Quiet Lunatic Dodge Avenger Forum Site Supporter Level 5 Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 3 Site Supporter Level 2 Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Hi all, we've bought the SXT fog lights and would like any comments/information on their installation. I did a search but only came up with 1 thread, but we intend to do install standard and the search result was more of a custom job.

Anyway, if any one has done this install or knows how, we'd appreciate your input. We're after any info from placement to connection.

Thanks in advance. :smiley_thumbs_up:

2. Quiet Lunatic

Quiet Lunatic Dodge Avenger Forum Site Supporter Level 5 Site Supporter Level 4 Site Supporter Level 3 Site Supporter Level 2 Site Supporter Level 1

Media:
    Do the fog lights you bought come with all the brackets and screws. To my knowledge the fog lights wiring loom is there so wiring them up should be straight forward, but the bumpers are different are you planning on cutting your SE bumper or are you buying a SXT bumper.

3. Quiet Lunatic

Media:
    All we got was the lights as that is what we ordered. Dealer spare parts couldn't tell us if the wiring was already there, so we didn't want any unnecessary costs. We went ahead and got the lights as the dealer was wanting to clear old stock and so we got a good price. Yeah I know......not if they won't even fit, but we reckon that's not an issue, they'll fit. Because the car is lowered, Kevin can't get under it to look and says he will probably have to take the bumper off to see what's there. A big job and one that will need quite a bit of spare time.
    The plan is to cut the section out of our bumper, but only if the lights can be secured into that section.

How are the bumpers different??? We hadn't realized that.

4. Quiet Lunatic

Media:
    Here is a SE bumper vs SXT bumper
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. 08inIECA

08inIECA New Member

So what is the status of this? Would love to hear about it.

J

6. stevodamofo

stevodamofo Member

Media:
    the pic on the left is actually the sxt non sport package. se didnt come with those wheels or have a chrome grill. but yes that is the same bumper as the se though.
    i removed the lower grill backing from the spot beside where the stock fogs go for my fog lights. not a fan of the stock placement.

Attached Files:

7. Sphinx

Sphinx Senior Member MOTM Winner! Forum Founder

Media:
    Albums:
    To be honest, you are better off buying the bumper too. There are a couple members that have added some rectangular fog lights to the space next to where the stock ones should be, but there is something special to the OEM bumper with the fog lights in it. There is an indention in the bumper right in front of the fog light, and if you are using OEM lights, this may be required. Here are a couple threads for you to take a looks at.

estrellitaroja thread.

stevodamofo has his setup in thisthread.

Here is a thread where I explained the difference.

I hope all this helps!!

stevodamofo likes this.
  8. streetstomper

streetstomper Member

Here is a picture of the fog lights I have added to my SXT.
    I think it looks pretty good,they work really well in the rain,which is good as you can see we get a ton of rain at this time of the year.
    S6302225.JPG
    I took this picture about 5 minutes ago in a major wind and rain storm.

9. TatertotAvenger

TatertotAvenger New Member

Where did you mount the switch inside and how did you run the wiring? I'd love a detailed account Pictures too if possible.

10. kreaterz

kreaterz Member

Media:
    Well when your done lets see how they look

11. 03oifvet

03oifvet New Member

Question for you I have an se black top edition I just bought an sxt bumper and fog lights. My question is the wiring harness from the factory already there so all I have to do is plug them in and then go get it programmed or do I have to run the wiring. And abother I realize if I want the factory switch I have to buy an all new lever but for now I'm wondering about the wiring.
    Thanks in advance

12. Germax

Germax Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Alright, let me give some update on the work I did on our 2008 SXT. It did not come with the foglights, and after we got hit by someone, we had to replace to front bumper. Bought online, painted and delivered for $ 220.00 - Not bad i would say, and it was installed within the hour. We got the bumper with the housing for the foglights, so now we ordered the fogs, yellow ones, just to make it different. How to get it to work, well, with some help from here I decided to buy the light switch in the car, and installed it two weeks ago, took me 30 minutes, rather easy.

Now i had to figure our the wiring and bought a new harness to see what is was, meaning which wire runs from the fog connector to the main connector (under the airfilter inlet). Two wires, one left and one right - (white yellow and white red). These where empty connectors on the main connector installed in the car. So i could splice these and run to the fogs, or run via the connector, looks a little more clean.

All wired up, and i hoped to have it work, but not yet. I think that the dealership needs to have the option foglights -LNJ- activated. Will let them do this during the remainder of the week.

If this all works you can have it all "original" for about $ 100 more then just a separate foglight switch. I paid more, since I used the original pins on the main connector, but that is just a choice and learned a lot from it. Will post new pictures once completely ready.

13. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Thanks for the update....great write-up for members wanting to do this.

14. Germax

Germax Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    It works, service manager to add the sales code LNJ to the car, mechanic to activate to the car.

It works!!

15. Derek04ram13venge

Derek04ram13venge New Member

So I know I'm coming into this a little late, I'm new here and I don't know if it's been covered anywhere. I've got a 2013 SE that I'm looking to do "factory" fog lights, including the multifunction switch in the car. Has anyone done this on a newer venge? It looks like the holes where the fogs go just knock out of the newer SE bumper. I also have what looks like empty harnesses for fog lights that need a wire about 2 feet long between them and the lights.