Dodge Avenger Forum banner

How do you feel about the interior of the Avenger?

• I haven't read the first post below yet.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Most reviewers are just used to sitting in padded rooms. Their crazy.

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • I like it. It's looks like high-tech plastech.

Votes: 12 14.1%
  • What's not to love. It looks great.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • That's why I bought my Avenger.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • If I wanted warm and fuzzy, I'd go to the spa to be pampered.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • This isn't some foo foo import. It's American, it's in your face, it's different.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I hate it. It's like sitting in a refrigerator.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • Hey, I'm a reviewer, and I used to work for Playskool.

Votes: 2 2.4%
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that almost every car review on the Avenger totally rips on the interior for having too much 'hard plastic.' When I think of hard plastic, I think of the inside of my refrigerator door. But the reviewers like to call it hard plastic. And they are close to being gods or something.:i_rolleyes:

I really don't mind, 'cause it looks nice, is easy to keep clean, and will probably outlast the cushy vinyl and padded pleather in other cars. And besides, I don't get that intimate with my dash, so I don't need warm and fuzzy. :jok:

That said, Chrysler has announced that they will be looking at doing something about the "playskool" interiors. Probably because of the reviewers comments.

So. How do Avenger owners feel about their interior?

I thought we could have fun with it, so there are more than one answer for those that like it, and more than one for those that don't. :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like it because its easy to remove and has unusual amounts of space to run wires. Sorry I have a one track mind :jammin:

·
Registered
412 Posts
Dodge has a clean, sharp look to it. Everything is easy to understand and to use. The controls are designed for average adult sized hands. I think the reviewers must be nutz.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
^I agree with Shadow... My Pontiac has cheap interior... Very plastic looking, and monotone color, just black. I like the accent colors the Avenger has to offer. Also, keep in mine that we are not buying a Mercedes here... it is a Dodge!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree with Shadowvenger and Sphinx. It's clean and sharp looking - mostly because of the accent colors.
Now if it were a Bentley, I'd expect some sort of exotic wood and leather covering everything. Not because it looks better, but because it looks more expensive.

I don't see that this 'looks' any cheaper than say, a Toyota Camry or Ford Fusion.

2007 Toyota Camry SE

2008 Ford Fusion

·
Registered
65 Posts
wOw i like the one in the photo better. I wish mine had the two colors but i think mine is still nice, and I dont think the ladies mind it either

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
The funny thing is...I think the reviews are spot on. However, I think its spot on for an initial reaction. Its how I initially felt. But when you compare what you get for the price, and you spend more time in it, its really pretty nice. Fit and finish is actually pretty good, and you didn't pay $50k for the car either.

·
Registered
112 Posts
And it actually looks better in person than in the photo.
I think the pictures make the interior look better than it actually is. They are all either soft, or lit in a way that makes it very difficult to see the poor material quality.

I hate the "chromed" plastic trim, other cars similarly priced use actual metal why can't Dodge? The "grainy" plastic looks very cheap, and there is some issues with finishing (sharp/untrimmed edges as well as poor panel fitment). Additionally every review I've read has mentioned the drivers side seat bottom, and that is my biggest issue. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 145 lbs) and the seat bottom just seems very narrow or something.

Overall I think the reviews on the Avenger have been overly negative but as far as the interior goes I tend to agree that it is this cars weak point.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I hate the "chromed" plastic trim, other cars similarly priced use actual metal why can't Dodge?
I'll have to agree there. The chromed plastic around the gear shift is terrible.

Additionally every review I've read has mentioned the drivers side seat bottom, and that is my biggest issue. I'm not a big guy (5'8", 145 lbs) and the seat bottom just seems very narrow or something.
It may not be your size, but your shape. Just kidding, that was just too easy to let go. :p I've noticed that also. I'm about 5'10" and a few more pounds. Ok, ok, maybe 20 pounds more.

·
Registered
112 Posts
It may not be your size, but your shape. Just kidding, that was just too easy to let go. :p I've noticed that also. I'm about 5'10" and a few more pounds. Ok, ok, maybe 20 pounds more.
Guess I shoulda mentioned I'm a white guy with a 30" waist, Sorry no extra "junk in the trunk" :p

On a side note, if anyone is interested checkout the Mercury Milan or the new Malibu. Both cars are similarly priced to the Avenger with interiors that are much better.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I won't deny there are parts that can be improved; however, there has been a definite bias against Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Before deciding on getting the Avenger, while loving the exterior styling, I wasn't sold on the interior, mainly because of these "reviewers/critics".

I looked at various base model cars Toyota, Honda, Ford and Chevy. Other than the styling, I saw none that were "softer/better fit/whatever" over any other. I can't comment on the Milan or Malibu as there were none for me to sample. As for the rest, its all down to personal preference. The only problem that stands out in the Avenger is the finish of some of the plastic, which is only a minor thing in my opinion.

I will say that I think the Avenger steering wheel is far better than the one used in the LX cars.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I'll agree with the steering wheel comment! :)

I'll also add (though not sure this is interior), that there seems maybe some better way of designing the trunk could have been had. It seems that if you have the smallest amount of snow on the trunk on rear window, or a little bit of water or rain and you open the trunk...it just dumps right into it. I don't recall that happening so much on my contour, and the magnum was a hatch so thats different.

Its not a big deal, just annoying sometimes lol.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've noticed that you need to clear the snow off the trunk first or you will end up with a trunk full of snow. That pissed me off the first time it happened. It is probably easy to clear off without the rear spoiler. But with the spoiler, there isn't much room on the side to sweep the snow off.
I

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Yeah, i was at a dealer one day, and I opened the trunk and sure enough, water dumped into the trunk. I asked him about it, and he was like... um... not sure about that...

You just need to clean it all off, or not use it when it snows/rains.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, i was at a dealer one day, and I opened the trunk and sure enough, water dumped into the trunk. I asked him about it, and he was like... um... not sure about that...

You just need to clean it all off, or not use it when it snows/rains.
Don't you just love it when they give you those types of responses? Just don't use it when it rains/snows lol.

For what its worth I think the problem is how the trunk lid opens. Generally the lid will open in a way that has the runoff land on the other side of the weather stripping. In our case, partly because the weatherstripping is very close to the actual edge of the trunk lid. It ends up either hitting it an landing in the trunk or for part of the movement, actually falling on the trunk-side of the weatherstripping.

To fix it I think you would either need different hinges that cause the trunk angle to be different when first opening or they need to add a bit more metal between the rear of the trunk opening and the rear window so they can move the weatherstripping and create a larger channel.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Don't you just love it when they give you those types of responses? Just don't use it when it rains/snows lol.

For what its worth I think the problem is how the trunk lid opens. Generally the lid will open in a way that has the runoff land on the other side of the weather stripping. In our case, partly because the weatherstripping is very close to the actual edge of the trunk lid. It ends up either hitting it an landing in the trunk or for part of the movement, actually falling on the trunk-side of the weatherstripping.

To fix it I think you would either need different hinges that cause the trunk angle to be different when first opening or they need to add a bit more metal between the rear of the trunk opening and the rear window so they can move the weatherstripping and create a larger channel.

lol gotta love salespeople sometimes hehe...but I agree with your post..

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I won't deny there are parts that can be improved; however, there has been a definite bias against Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep. Before deciding on getting the Avenger, while loving the exterior styling, I wasn't sold on the interior, mainly because of these "reviewers/critics".

I looked at various base model cars Toyota, Honda, Ford and Chevy. Other than the styling, I saw none that were "softer/better fit/whatever" over any other. I can't comment on the Milan or Malibu as there were none for me to sample. As for the rest, its all down to personal preference. The only problem that stands out in the Avenger is the finish of some of the plastic, which is only a minor thing in my opinion.

I will say that I think the Avenger steering wheel is far better than the one used in the LX cars.
Hmm somehow I missed this topic and I love giving my opinion! :p Anyway though...out of all the cars I've owned I've never really had nice interior so I wouldn't really know what nice interior is...all I know is when I get in it, you are lower than normal mid-size cars...this is the same type of "low seating setup" that used to be in the 97-99 camaro's/firebirds (which I had both of)...I love feeling like I am on eye-level w/ the road...especially since I came from a Jeep Liberty prior to the avenger :p But yeah, that is one of my likes and I dig the instrument cluster...how's its like long and stuff...but as for the rest of the interior, I think its more luxury than anything...Not that there is any, but when I think of luxury, I think of the infiniti, caddy, etc with the wood grain - I am not a wood grain fan, you put chrome/brushed silver and that's luxury to me... I don't really care what its made out of but I did notice most of the plastics, they are not areas that you use everyday...

I also had a 05 Dakota, and they first started using that wood dash crap...nastyness...you would get in and...BLAH i want to puke

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think there's a lot of griping over nothing much. I think the reason the interior is a little bit rougher than most others is cuz Dodge owners are a little bit tougher than most others.

Realistically, it's the same damn thing as any other car, the reviewers just needed something to pick on so they could give their Honda sponsors another Car of the Year award.

The worst and least sensical complaint is that little damn plastic triangle in the rear window. What the duece? I hope it's the only thing wrong with this car so I can laugh.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts