Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Avenger SXT 3.6, and i was just wondering if my car can beat a 3.6 charger since it's more lighter?
20160408_175326.jpg

·
Registered
785 Posts
I figure my 3.6l 200 should give my Kid Sister's Challenger R/T Classic (with the 370+hp 5.7l VVT Hemi, Track Pack, and Limited Slip) a good run for it's money, but there should be a 400lb weight difference between the two, not sure if it's the same for the 3.6l Charger, but it's only real advantages would be the 8 speed and rwd, what ever extra weight it carries should hurt it though.

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Welcome to the forum,
As originally made NO. there is a lot more than "lightness" that comes into play. Things like computer governed top speed settings, trans gear ratio, they have more hp rating and other things . They are not far apart,but this debate has roots that go back to the beginning of the auto industry and will go on and on and on....... BUT you have a great looking one there !!!

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Do not wish to debate, as to wording of my post . What if's and who modded what and human factors and better tires THE debate will go on and on and on............

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Have you seen some of the recent MOPAR commercials, of the paired cars. One is always just slightly behind, CLOSE but just slightly behind. ENJOY your "venger !!!!

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
thanks for the like , There you go your thread did not specify any conditions therefore I replied in kind . Okay the avenger has a .3 sec. advantage in 0-60 speed. They still are 2 great cars! But a 3.6 in a Charger? Sounds a little under engined to me, but that's the top brass at dodge for you. Like the General Lee having a slant six for a motor !! Have a SAFE and GREAT weekend !

·
Registered
198 Posts
I traded in my '06 Charger Daytona (Hemi) for a '15 Charger Rallye with the 300HP 3.6L V6 and 8-speed auto. The Charger with the 3.6 & 8-speed feels almost as fast as my Hemi did with the 5-speed tranny. I'm sure that in a drag race the Hemi would win, but I suspect not by much. The 3.6 engine in the Charger is far from "under engined" (again, in my opinion). And, if driven sanely, the car is very economical. The first highway trip I took, I got just over 34mpg (65mph). That's as good or better than my wife's '13 Chrysler 200 (Avenger twin) with the 2.4L 4-banger.

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
there again ,the debate goes on . Hi Mr. Collette, was wondering what it was going to take to get you to "chime" in! I was alluding to the "old school" of the muscle car era and I do believe that they did offer the charger with the "slant six" what a travesty of decisions by dodge chiefs !!!

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Okay txcobaltxt, it's your thread, how far do you want this to go? See what you started, I hope you are happy. Hope you are enjoying your weekend!

·
Registered
198 Posts
5rebel9, I hear you. When I ordered my new Charger, I was initially feeling that it was almost sacrilegious to buy a Charger without the Hemi. However, after thinking about it more, I decided to be practical and go with the V6 since it offers a good balance of performance and fuel economy. However, I admit that I miss the "sound" of the Hemi V8. It's intoxicating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I traded in my '06 Charger Daytona (Hemi) for a '15 Charger Rallye with the 300HP 3.6L V6 and 8-speed auto. The Charger with the 3.6 & 8-speed feels almost as fast as my Hemi did with the 5-speed tranny. I'm sure that in a drag race the Hemi would win, but I suspect not by much. The 3.6 engine in the Charger is far from "under engined" (again, in my opinion). And, if driven sanely, the car is very economical. The first highway trip I took, I got just over 34mpg (65mph). That's as good or better than my wife's '13 Chrysler 200 (Avenger twin) with the 2.4L 4-banger.
Even with the 5-speed, the Hemi should have a second on the V6 in both 0-60 and 1/4 mile. Its considerably quicker. Although, in a real world setting, I do agree the Pentastar has plenty of kick and might feel almost as quick.

Edit: Also, the Pentastar in the Avenger is being really held back by the 62TE transmission. With only adjusted gear ratios, a stock 3.6 Avenger could easily have a mid 5 second 60 sprint and a low 14s/high 13s 1/4 mile. The trade off would be fuel economy and higher revs while highway cruising. But that is the curse of the Avenger - dodge didn't want it to step all over the much more profitable Charger's toes.

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Us old timers and old schoolers still believe in the old adage..... There ain't NO substitute for cubic inches ! Not that a current 3.6 in a charger is nothing !

·
Registered
66 Posts
My Avenger is a 3.6L V6 and my father's Charager has the same engine. After driving both a lot, I feel like my Avenger is QUICKER, but the Charger is faster. The Avenger takes off quicker and very well get to 60mph quicker, but my father's Charger has a bigger top speed for sure.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Depends... The newer Chargers have the different transmissions. Also Chargers weigh more. I think if we were to race 0-60 wed win.

·
Premium Member
6,528 Posts
Oh NO ,this has started again? Suggest lay down specific ground rules and eliminate the what ifs and I feels. They are both great cars!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts