Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My problem is pretty much the same as the other two people who posted on here. Sometimes when I brake then accellerate, or accelerate at low speeds, the transmission jerks. And once it even made me jerk forward like I was rear-ended.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Check the Recall and TSB lists or go to your dealer. They should be able to tell you if there is a recall or tsb for your vehicle. You will need your VIN

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
There is already out a software update for the 4cly SE transmisson. All dealerships should have the update, (or call Chrysler they will tell you its out). I know of three Avenger SE 4cyl owners that have had the transmission software update. Their cars are running great now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
It was also on the early V6 models, though the recall nor reflash did not fix the problem. Hopefully it will fail before the warranty runs out. If you should experience this problem it is my experience to "stab" the gas to force the transmission to downshift and then it will upshift and stop jerking. Hope this helps.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The recall on the early V6 was an emissions ERG velve. There is a transmission software upgrade that has been in the works (testing) since Aug. of 07, due to the six speeds hard 2nd to 1st down shift problem. Chrysler knows about this and is working an a TSB.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is a new TSB for a reflash on the trans for the V6 clunky 1-2 shift TSB#21-003-08, also applies to a shudder from the torque converter. 2.7 and 3.5 V6's (tsb - dated Jan 15, 2008)

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
It's about time that it came out. I drove anround with a flight recorder in an R/T, recording any transmission problem over 5 months ago. I had recorded many 2nd to 1st hard down shifts, and many 3rd to 4th hard upshifts. I was also keeping three different Dodge forums posted on the problems and the up comeing software update. Chrysler may take its time in doing things, but as I've always stated, Chrysler will come through.

·
Registered
9 Posts
need to have passenger door speaker replaced under warranty and asked for a tranny flash while i was at it. i have the clunky shift and random stall issue and hopefully it will fix it.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
OK I did the flash update to mine and it does make a big difference, the 1-2 bang when she was cold is gone!!:):p
Did you notice any change in acceleration/torque/etc?

Not sure if you guys have messed around w/ the car but since mine is a lease, I run it very hard in the beginning...I know this is stupid, but I just do it cause I can :p Maybe the other r/t owners have had this experience...When you slap down to autostick, stick it in first, hammer the pedal and the tires squeel....I noticed today when I was messing around doing it, that it stayed in first gear for awhile...probably about 5-8 seconds time, averaging at about 6700-6800 rpms redlining... doing the up/down/up/down with the needle...maybe 40-50 mph? I was getting nervous because it didn't autoshift to 2nd so I manually up'd it to 2nd then it was responding normally...

If it gets rid of that, I don't think I want it :p

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Did you notice any change in acceleration/torque/etc?

Not sure if you guys have messed around w/ the car but since mine is a lease, I run it very hard in the beginning...I know this is stupid, but I just do it cause I can :p Maybe the other r/t owners have had this experience...When you slap down to autostick, stick it in first, hammer the pedal and the tires squeel....I noticed today when I was messing around doing it, that it stayed in first gear for awhile...probably about 5-8 seconds time, averaging at about 6700-6800 rpms redlining... doing the up/down/up/down with the needle...maybe 40-50 mph? I was getting nervous because it didn't autoshift to 2nd so I manually up'd it to 2nd then it was responding normally...

If it gets rid of that, I don't think I want it :p
I think it is designed to work that way. But I agree in the fact I like to be able to shift it and not have it auto upshift.

It will auto down shift though, iirc.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ok, just got home from the dealer. they goofed and replaced all the speakers in the car.....service manager said "the other ones sounded sorta distorted"

they flashed the tranny with the jan 15 update...seems to be more pep but will use it a few days and report back.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
ok, just got home from the dealer. they goofed and replaced all the speakers in the car.....service manager said "the other ones sounded sorta distorted"

they flashed the tranny with the jan 15 update...seems to be more pep but will use it a few days and report back.
Dang it, I thought you had a R/T... Who's going to be the first R/T to get the tranny flashed? Need to know if it fixes the autoshift...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts