Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search on this and didn't find anything, so I wanted to pass on my insight in to grinding rotor sounds.

I took my car to Pep Boys one afternoon because I had a grinding sound coming from the front left rotor. They looked over the brakes and told be he wasn't sure what's causing the issue, maybe a warped rotor (of course not, every time I take a vehicle to a mechanic or shop, I get the "We can't recreate the issue" speech). Anyway, I went home and took the wheels off and looked over the rotors and pads only to find they were still practically new looking.

I went ahead and bought two new rotors from Rockauto.com and started to install them. I bought new hardware and caliper guide pins, but when I started to put it back together I noticed the new pins didn't have the rubber boot, so I used the old ones. Now I started to install the pins, but low and behold I couldn't remember which went where. They both fit fine and I still had the noise with the new equipment. It turns out, the pin with the rubber boot goes on the top of the caliper. I swapped them and the noises went away.

I'm keeping my old rotors to have turned and use later if needed. Lesson learned. Mark or remember where the parts go. :)

I know this was long, but hopefully it'll help someone in the future.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Always good to have a "reminder" post of this "quirk", It has been posted here before of keeping pin location kept in location order(if my reply makes any grammatical sense).;):)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts