Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I have a 2008 avenger 2.4 and noticed a high pitched tapping noise. This happened after letting it sit for about 3 months and starting it up.
I tried putting sea foam in the oil, drove for about 200 miles, and replaced with fresh oil. The sound did get very quite but came back 2 days later.
Question is, if it is a lifter, do our 2.4s have bucket lifters? And if so, what type? Solid, hydrologic buckets?
Where could I find the gap needed and is there a way to turn the rocker without disassembling the timing chain?
I know some vehicles have a port through the side of the block that you can use an extension to turn the rod.
I'm fairly sure it is the lifters as it doesn't sound like a rod out. Just a high tapping noise. It's quite and goes away when rpm is below 2k.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
Looks like bucket tappets. Rock Auto lists a number of different sized tappets. Maybe this will help:
MEASURING VALVE LASH

TORQUE SEQUENCE

TORQUE SEQUENCE

NOTE
The engine must be cold to measure valve lash.

1. Remove engine cover.
  2. Remove cylinder head cover
    LOBES VERTICLE

LOBES VERTICAL

1. Rotate camshaft so lobes are vertical (1).
  2. Check clearance using feeler gauges.
  3. Repeat for all tappets and record readings.
  4. If clearance was too small, refer to the Clearance too Small procedure.
  5. If clearance was too large, refer to the Clearance too Large procedure.
Refer To List:

Clearance too Small

TAPPET IDENTIFICATION

TAPPET IDENTIFICATION

1. Remove camshafts.
  2. Specification – clearance = change.
  3. Decrease tappet thickness by change figure.
  4. Install camshafts.
  5. Verify that valve lash is correct.
Refer To List:

Clearance too Large

TAPPET IDENTIFICATION

TAPPET IDENTIFICATION

1. Remove camshafts.
  2. Clearance – specification = change.
  3. Increase tappet thickness by change figure.
  4. Install camshafts.
  5. Verify that valve lash is correct.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks for the response I appreciate it!

So today I decided to disassemble the valve cover (cause I just used a stethoscope do listen to the noise)
Well today I had my brother bring his scanner and here it's throwing codes for a bad camshaft sensor, and manifold position sensor.
I don't know a whole lot considering I only work on atvs n such but I'm thinking if they're both out, that too could cause the tapping/knocking noise I'm hearing right?
I inspected the timing chain and it's nice and snug, I have markers on the chain and pulleys that are lined up so I know it didn't jump teeth.
As I said before I really appreciate that information.

·
Registered
3 Posts
A lot of avengers end up with a wood pecker by the passenger side dash because the blend door actuator getting stuck i need to fix mine as well. Whenever I turn the ac on, it starts clicking away until I turn on the recirculation button

1 - 5 of 5 Posts