Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has the 17's that come with the 2.4 SXT. I really like the 18's that come in the Sport package on the V6 SXT (I think they are the standard rims on the RT - non chrome ones). How much of a mpg change do you think would happen if I put the 18's on it?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I suppose you are thinking that the larger rim takes a little more power to get going, but I think the difference wouldn't be anything to worry about. I have 18's on my ride and I love them, but MPG was never a concern when it came to my rim choice.;) I'm not too sure what the difference in weight is between the two, but again, I doubt there would be a significant change in your MPG, so I say go for it!!!:D

·
Registered
565 Posts
Any change in tire size without changing the speedo will cause a change in fuel economy because you're speedo has you driving at a different speed than you really are. most people change to larger tires and thus will be driving faster than they think they are and will use more fuel.

However 17 to 18 is such a small change it wont be noticeable to you in either fuel economy or speed.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I concur with everything as stated above. I also think that if you talk to your dealer, they can starscan your car and put the correct wheel size into the computer. Its such a small difference though I doubt they worry about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I did it! Picked up a set on ebay. Should be here in a week or so.

Thanks everyone for your help! I never cared much before, but since we bought this car for gas mileage it made me think twice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd be curious how much a weight difference there is between the stock 17's versus the 18's you purchased.

Overall the weight of the wheel will have an affect on the performance of the car but the MPG shouldn't be affected by much unless you're talking about a 10lb difference at each corner.

If you keep the same rolling diameter with your new tires then you don't need to have the dealer configure the car for larger wheels.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts