Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I NoticedThe temperature Gauge on my car Exiting normal operating temperature so I did some investigating on my vehicle Replace the water pump because there was no circulation But I noticed there was an freeze on the rear portion of the engine block up top Today I noticed a puddle underneath my car

Also let me state that win driving the temperature stays in the normal range however win start or idlingThe temperature exceeds normal
So I purchased a new thermostat housing But I am national if this is the problem with the large Puddle underneath the vehicle

Also the vehicle has 197000 miles

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
It's not a normal "fail" for a freeze plug to come out, but it can happen. IF you plan to DIY, you'll need to disassemble things till you locate the offending port and then replace the plug with a NEW one. More common for a hose or the plastic T-stat housing to fail than a freeze plug, and I would suggest replacing that unit anyway.
GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on any progress.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So from what I sm seeing so far is the top of housing is the weak link in the design other than it being made of plastic. What I am seeing and hearing is air is getting in the system where the housing is brittle and thats where th coolant is leaking aswell which isn't allowing one of the themostats to work properly

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
So you did find it to be that assembly. Have fun with the task replacing it and let us know how it all ends up! :)
And THANKS for posting with pic's included...seems more people need pic's than verbal instructions lately.....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it was the Tstat housing that was bad it was allowing air in the system and coolant would leak out afterwards Hardest part about changing this was the 3 bolts

1 - 7 of 7 Posts