Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just leased a 2008 Avenger SXT and was wondering what all you knew about what can be done to a lease without worry about the dealership giving me problems. This is my first lease but thats not gonna stop me from fudging the rules a bit. Ha ha. One of my main concerns is tint but i have no idea what the rules are.

I think it would be good if everyone put down what they know about the requirements for future avenger leases.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have leased several vehicles in the past and have had no problems adding things on. I have had windows tinted, added side step bars, changed grilles, and some other minor cosmetic things. As long as it doesn't damage the vehicle or take away from the value they do not care. Heck, if you give them back a car that has things added that would appeal to costumers on the used lot it makes it easier for them to sell.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I leased a G6 and window tint was considered excessive wear and tear. So was the cold air intake that I put on it. I would say read all the paperwork before you start to make modifications. The dealer told me it was ok, but once I read the return pamphlet, it said otherwise. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
If you do anything it is a good idea to keep any parts that you replace. That way when or if you turn it in you can switch it back if need be.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
I leased a G6 and window tint was considered excessive wear and tear. So was the cold air intake that I put on it. I would say read all the paperwork before you start to make modifications. The dealer told me it was ok, but once I read the return pamphlet, it said otherwise. Good luck with that.
You probably could/should have had the tint removed and put the stock air intake back. And I for one wouldn't want to buy a car that was likely hot-rodded even a little - i'd rather buy one that gramdma only drove to church on sunday.

You are better off sticking to mods that can be un-done.

And don't just save the parts to change back if need be. Save them to change back before you take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I went looking for the lease return guide and I could not find anything that said you could or could not install performance parts. What it did say was that the car has to be in a sellable condition upon return. Window tint is allowed, and in fact they even accept it with holes in the panels, 2 per panel ;). And the use what is called the credit card rule. If a credit card can cover the dent/scratch then it is ok, up to 5 per panel.

I hope this helps. I will try to find the link and post it up here for you!

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
... they even accept it with holes in the panels, 2 per panel ;). And the use what is called the credit card rule. If a credit card can cover the dent/scratch then it is ok, up to 5 per panel.
It likely depends on the company leased through.
Chrysler financial does allow 5 dents per panel using the credit card test, but "All holes, gouges and tears in the exterior of the vehicle are chargeable, regardless of size."
Other possible charges include missing or damaged parts and accessories - taking the stock air box off and replacing with CAI would almost certainly be chargable (unless put back before turning in) as that could be considered a missing part.

Here's Chrysler Financial's turn-in guide (pdf)

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Thanks for the guide dwkmi. That is what I read on Thursday, but I suppose I misunderstood the puncture thing. That guide is kind of convoluted, as it does not specifically say that a performance parts are chargeable.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
That guide is kind of convoluted, as it does not specifically say that a performance parts are chargeable.
I agree. It's more of an informational guide than actual contract language. It's the booklet they mail you when you are close to the end of the lease (if you used Chrysler Financial)
I always thought that it was funny that you could actually wack the fenders, quarter panels, doors, hood, roof, and deck lid with a ball pean hammer 5 times, and that wouldn't be chargeable - please consult a lawyer before actually doing that!!!

So... I grabbed my lease contract (keep in mind that I went with Chrysler Financial).
Under "Prohibited Uses of the Vehicle, the contract says "You will not change or modify the vehicle's body or interior in any way unless you first get our written consent. If you add parts to the vehicle that cannot be removed without harming the vehicle's usefulness or value, you understand that these parts become our property. We may inspect the vehicle at any resonable time."

Under "Standards for Excess Wear and Use" it has, among the usuall stuff (too much for me to type here),
"nonfunctioning, discolored, tinted, or broken glass..."
"after market alterations not installed by an authorized Chrysler Financial dealer..." To a lawyer this would include anything that you install.

Basically, if you plan on mods, you should probably buy instead of lease - or plan on buying it at the end of lease - and you can do whatever you like (shhh, don't tell the lease company).
If it is a lease, it should be treated like you borrowed your grandmothers car - you have to give it back in the same condition, less normal wear and tear. Go ahead and put 20"s on it and tint the windows, but put it back exactly the way it was before giving it back.

Or of course you could always opt to buy the car after the lease is up and then re-sell it, and maybe make a profit... or take a loss...

Bird8291 - you should probably take out your lease contract and read it. Keep in mind that if you tint the windows, you will probably want to have the tint removed before turning it in - check the cost of that now.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I had a sales person at the dealership that I my wife dealt with say that he didn't understand why GMAC called window tinting excessive wear. He said that any improvments to the appearance of the car were great. Now keep in mind, you may not get that modification added on to the value of the car i.e. if you tint the windows while under a lease, you forfeit the tint upon turn in, meaning, you loose your money on the tint.

Thanks for the information dwmki!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I I read through the lease documentation and found alot of what you all were saying. My plans will still be to tint the window and some other mods i will just have to remove it before i turn it in. Maybe ill try to make an agreement with AutoOne to take the tint off in 3 years for me.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Also, you might want to think about just asking the dealer at the time of turn in. Say about 2 weeks before you are going to turn it in, run up to the dealer where you would do so, and ask them if you will be penalized for anything.

I would also think that if you were going to lease another car with them or buy one from them and you told them at time of turn in you didn't want to be penalized, they would make that happen for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts