Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am finishing up a halo mod on my 2013 Dodge Avenger and just want to share some of the things I learned that I wish I had known up front.

• This is not a one day project. If you are modding the OEM headlights, assume your car will be off the road for a week depending on your schedule. I saw someone suggest that you order aftermarket housings and mod them so you can keep your car on the road and take your time doing the mod. Not a bad idea.
  • The factory headlights are sealed with Permaseal. This is not nice stuff. You can find several videos on this forum by member Sphinx that will show you how to open them up. 265 degree oven for 20 minutes then get into it seriously with a couple of screwdrivers and a 1” putty knife. You WILL have to heat it multiple times to get all the way through your first attempts. Your goal is to open the end opposite the turn signal lens. Once you get that open and can get some fingers in there, the thing will come apart. (Thanks to Sphinx, by the way. I had all but given up on this mod until I found your videos.)
  • Always work over microfiber towels when you do this disassembly work to prevent scratching the lens. If I were to do it again, I think I might go so far as to tape over the lenses to prevent scratching.
  • Don’t worry too much about the plastic clips on the housing. The final seal that you put on is sufficient to hold the lens in place. If you can preserve the clips, so much the better.
  • If you are extremely anal about the appearance of every detail of your car (including how the headlight housings look under the hood) don’t do this mod. Some damage to the ABS headlight housings is unavoidable.
  • I used SMD LED halo rings for my mod. You can cut these to fit IF you cut between the diodes on the board. You can also reshape them a bit (change the radius) by heating them with a heat gun and spreading or squeezing them while they cool. You will have to remove any plastic supports on the halos that interfere with reshaping. It will likely take several rounds of heating and cooling to get it to hold final shape. Always bench test the LED halo rings after any mods before installing them in your housings.
  • DO NOT, under any circumstance, put any kind of adhesive tape on the chromed plastic parts inside the headlight assembly. The chrome finish used on these parts is very thin and fragile and even masking tape will lift it. Do not use cleaning chemicals on these parts either. It takes very little abrading (as in cotton swab) to completely remove the chrome finish.
  • Use a heat gun to remove the Permaseal from the lens receiving groove in the ABS headlight housing. Work a couple of inches at a time heating it with the heat gun on high setting and playing the gun back and forth. Remove the heat and score the Permaseal on the sides of the groove with a knife and then dig it out with a narrow blade screwdriver. You can then use the screwdriver blade as a scraper to scrape out the remaining adhesive. I used a cotton swab soaked in mineral spirits to do the final cleanup. This will look rough, but you’ll never see it once the headlight is assembled again.
  • I used silicone to adhere the halos. I was afraid that epoxy would be too messy. It really doesn’t matter what you use, if you get it on the chrome parts inside the assembly and you can’t live with it, the game is over. Buy yourself some new housings.
  • Use 3M Windo-Weld (1/4" butyl rubber extruded bead) to reseal the housings. Squish the bead into the groove on the housing and reinstall the lens. Heat in an oven at 250 degrees for 10 minutes then, using your gloved hands, squeeze the lens into the butyl rubber sealant. Be patient and don’t get the gooey rubber on the lens.
Most of all be patient. Take your time. As I finish this project up I will post any other tips I discover and some pics. Happy modding!

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Nice write up of your experience doing this "mod"! YES it takes TIME and PATIENCE to do these types of things. Unfortunately in today's society most people want "plug and play" with little effort and immediate results. And this mod is NOT for the mechanically UNinclined to do with such a mindset.
Glad your project is working out well for you so far!

·
Registered
154 Posts
That's exactly how projects go when approached correctly. Trial and error. When I was working on the sequential tailight project I started with buying used tailight assemblies on ebay to cut open and mess with. Then I used the ebay ones on the car until I modded the originals that it came with. It took me months to get that finished...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the mod is now finished. The final part was wiring up the drl module. It's the same cheap Chinese junk with no usable instructions that you can get everywhere online. I first tried wiring it direct to the battery because it's supposed to be voltage sensing. The halos would turn on when I started the car, and also when it was sitting in the parking lot. Or just randomly. I next found an open fuse slot in the TIPM that came on with the ignition and connected the blue wire to that. Worked fantastically if I started the engine and shut it off. If the engine ran for more than two minutes the halos would not shut off. In the end I put an add-a-fuse in the open fuse slot and wired the red wire of the drl module to that and the black wire to a grounded bolt on the frame. Now the halos come on any time the car is running. Tests to determine if the halos would dim when the headlights were on using the white wire indicated that the dimming would not work. I am disappointed because I was hoping I could get them to dim at night. They do look good in the daytime and improve my Avenger's visibility to other drivers. I'm not sure the project was worth the hassle.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
As with many "mods", there are always "trade offs", you gain in one area and loose in another. Did you use the wiring guides that are posted here in the forums?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have a link, Rebel? Still learning the site.

·
Premium Member
6,730 Posts
Please read the 3 threads above this thread of yours in the "sticky threads" section of this page of Custom Interior and exterior lighting

1 - 7 of 7 Posts