Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!,
I had noticed my license plate light was out so I decided to replace it. No issues changing the bulb, but I accidentally let go of the light assembly when trying to screw it back in place, and now it has fallen down into the bumper, I guess?

After doing some Internet research, I have come up empty on how to retrieve the light, but one person told me it is as easy as removing the bumper cover, but didn't elaborate on "how to". Anybody out there know if this is the answer, or should I take it to the dealer. I bought it used, love the car, and it is still under warranty. 2013 Dodge Avenger

Much thanks,
Joey

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
Have you got a set of flexible "fingers" that you could "fish" it out of the opening it fell in thru? Even department stores sell them for less than $10.00, may be worth a try.
And welcome to the Forum, PLEASE drop by the Newbie Check in page and Introduce yourself to ALL the Forum Family.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you got a set of flexible "fingers" that you could "fish" it out of the opening it fell in thru? Even department stores sell them for less than $10.00, may be worth a try.
And welcome to the Forum, PLEASE drop by the Newbie Check in page and Introduce yourself to ALL the Forum Family.
Thanks for the response! I did check in at the newbie forum just a few minutes ago. :)
As far as the light, it did fall through into the bumper. I don't see where else it could go. I tried using a hanger and even a tape measure to try and snag it, but it isn't visible to me at all. Buying a new one is a good idea, but I can't see any wiring on this vehicle and wouldn't know where to begin. Nothing is visible
Joey

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
I meant the Flexible "fingers" tool. and old saying... Patience is a virtue. I am not a fan of removing big body parts if not absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant the Flexible "fingers" tool. and old saying... Patience is a virtue. I am not a fan of removing big body parts if not absolutely necessary.
I did know what you meant, but no, I don't have anything like a "flexible fingers" tool. I agree on not removing the bigger body parts.
I'll keep trying to fish this out blindly...Thanks again for responding!
Joey

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
Good luck with the "fishing" experience, and maybe others here will come "online" with their suggestions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck with the "fishing" experience, and maybe others here will come "online" with their suggestions.
I gave up at this point fishing. Tried a bungie cord with a hook on the end,no luck. That will take a GREAT deal of luck. Thanks again, and yes, maybe somebody will come aboard with another idea. Have a good weekend!
Joey

·
Registered
6 Posts
Happened to me once. Go under the car and put your arm behind the bumper. You should be able to squeeze it in there enough to grab the light and cord. With this, you can stabilize the light with your hand while you put a hanger in there and hook it. Once you have it hooked you should be able to pull it out quite easily. Screwing the light back in place is such a pain in the ass. I ended up just screwing the light in over top of the holes. Looks fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happened to me once. Go under the car and put your arm behind the bumper. You should be able to squeeze it in there enough to grab the light and cord. With this, you can stabilize the light with your hand while you put a hanger in there and hook it. Once you have it hooked you should be able to pull it out quite easily. Screwing the light back in place is such a pain in the ass. I ended up just screwing the light in over top of the holes. Looks fine.
Thanks!
Just got home from vacation and will take a look under the bumper!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this happened to me today. Fishing blindly for it is definitely not working. Removing the bumper would be faster than this!

Whereabouts do you say we should reach behind the bumper? The tight space bewteen the facia (held closed by tabs)? No way I very my hands in there without popping the tabs out. Is there somewhere else to reach?

Did anyone find a method that worked?

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
Did you try removing the driver side tail light and grabbing the light wire? then you could "fish a string thru the plate light opening to the tail light and tieing to the bulb housing and pulling it thru? OUR COUPE does NOT have this little "quirk" of a problem...LOL:eek::D:(

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did try taking out the driver side taillight, but the wire was held tightly by something.

I read another thread on this forum about removing the grommets on the top of the bumper and reaching in that way. That works perfectly and I was done in 2 minutes. Thank goodness!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did try taking out the driver side taillight, but the wire was held tightly by something.

I read another thread on this forum about removing the grommets on the top of the bumper and reaching in that way. That works perfectly and I was done in 2 minutes. Thank goodness!
What are the grommet and where are they locared

·
Registered
2 Posts

The dealership told me a couple hundred dollars to fix it no way!

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
@sacrdandprofne ,Could you describe in a little more detail how you got the license plate light retrieved for the benefit of others please?
@Tiffany, open the trunk, look at the bumper near the opening for trunk, there should be 3 or 4 round head plastic clip plugs. Careful work with a screwdriver can lift them out and then the bumper cover(plastic) can be moved enough to reach into the bumper and find the light and wire harness to get it back where it belongs. Not fun,Good Luck!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I took out the plastic clips like 5rebel9 mentioned and then used a piece of stiff wire (like coat hanger) to help fish over the wire when I installed my backup camera.

Should be able to grab it that way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!,
I had noticed my license plate light was out so I decided to replace it. No issues changing the bulb, but I accidentally let go of the light assembly when trying to screw it back in place, and now it has fallen down into the bumper, I guess?

After doing some Internet research, I have come up empty on how to retrie the light, but one person told me it is as easy as removing the bumper cover, but didn't elaborate on "how to". Anybody out there know if this is the answer, or should I take it to the dealer. I bought it used, love the car, and it is still under warranty. 2013 Dodge Avenger

Much thanks,
Joey
This is completely old but someone may still benefit off of it. Me as a 5’1 woman with short arms and fingers used both arms to get the fixture back to the top. I simultaneously used my left arm to reach behind the bumper and pushed up the fixture while I was able to put my entire hand and wrist in the opening the light originally fell through. I grasped it with a nail of one of my fingers and drug the wire against my bumper with a finger until I was able to reach it with my right hand. It’s possible, I was behind my car for 5mins Max.

·
Premium Member
6,680 Posts
Welcome to the Forumz Shanmye! Thanks for sharing your experience, Yes it can be done by a number of ways...just depends on how resourceful one is.
I encourage you to introduce yourself on the Newbie Check in Page and tell us a little about your Avenger.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts