Dodge Avenger Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all!,
I had noticed my license plate light was out so I decided to replace it. No issues changing the bulb, but I accidentally let go of the light assembly when trying to screw it back in place, and now it has fallen down into the bumper, I guess?

After doing some Internet research, I have come up empty on how to retrieve the light, but one person told me it is as easy as removing the bumper cover, but didn't elaborate on "how to". Anybody out there know if this is the answer, or should I take it to the dealer. I bought it used, love the car, and it is still under warranty. 2013 Dodge Avenger

Much thanks,
Joey

This is for everyone out there, same thing happened to me, dropped the wire after bulb replacement. Was about to give up but took a bungee cord with hook pointed towards front of car. Was able to hook onto the wire after 2 tries!! All fixed and was ov
Hello all!,
I had noticed my license plate light was out so I decided to replace it. No issues changing the bulb, but I accidentally let go of the light assembly when trying to screw it back in place, and now it has fallen down into the bumper, I guess?

After doing some Internet research, I have come up empty on how to retrieve the light, but one person told me it is as easy as removing the bumper cover, but didn't elaborate on "how to". Anybody out there know if this is the answer, or should I take it to the dealer. I bought it used, love the car, and it is still under warranty. 2013 Dodge Avenger

Much thanks,
Joey

I was able to fish out the wire with a bungee cord, hook facing front of car, after 2 tries. DEFINITELTY worth a shot!! Hope this helps !

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, might be helpful one day:cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
@sacrdandprofne ,Could you describe in a little more detail how you got the license plate light retrieved for the benefit of others please?
@Tiffany, open the trunk, look at the bumper near the opening for trunk, there should be 3 or 4 round head plastic clip plugs. Careful work with a screwdriver can lift them out and then the bumper cover(plastic) can be moved enough to reach into the bumper and find the light and wire harness to get it back where it belongs. Not fun,Good Luck!
Ya I did the same for Woman's kid's AvengerI popped out the 4 push pins or whatever you call it for the top bumper which you have to open the trunk then i widged a flat head screw driver to pull back then wedged a flash light then I was able to see that sucker. It was more on the left. Funny thing is i got one of those cheap cameras with cable but couldn't even see clearly but anyway i was able to see it and used a sturdy wire which i used as a fork for smores over the summer and fished it up then grabbed it from the hole above license plate. The license place light fixture itself, was a pain in the butt to screw back in place, but completed. Any car dealer or shop would have charged a few 100.

·
Registered
124 Posts
The Auto Parts Store Guy offered to replace My burned-out plate light...Man am I glad I took Him up on His offer!!

BTW, 2 problems went away when the license plate light was replaced!!
My wipers used to stop part way thru the wipe cycle after they had been running for a few minutes ( only when the headlights were on!) and the passenger-side Rear turn signal would start blinking rapidly (again, only when the headlights were on).
Now, with the new lic. plate bulb, both of the problems have gone away!!
Weirdness abounds!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to take the time and thank you all for the Q&A. I have recently purchased my avenger and finding this forum is awesome.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Just wanted to take the time and thank you all for the Q&A. I have recently purchased my avenger and finding this forum is awesome.
Well we're glad you joined, welcome!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts