Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started my car this morning.. It was 20 degrees out... I don't wait a certain amount of time for the car to warm up... Since i'm usually always late for work... I started down the street and the light with the ! came on... I noticed it kinda jerked when I drove it but wasn't going fast, like 10 mph. The light went off after a few minutes... But was wondering if I should wait longer since it's cold out to drive the car?

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I am not even sure what that light is for. I would warm your car up for at least a couple minutes in extreme cold weather.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The light is for your TPMS. When it gets that cold, the air density changes and your tires technically have less pressure in them. When they warm up, your pressure goes up and the light goes off. You might have to add a couple of psi to the tires to keep this from happening due to the change in ambient temperature.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
The system is set up where you have a sensor in each wheel. The sensor has a set range where it is considered "good" and if it is outside of that range, the "!" light will come on. When the car is warming up in the driveway, the engine is warming up but the tires are still staying still. Once the car is being driven, the motion and friction causes the air inside the tire to now increase in temperature which then puts the sensors readings into the "good" area. This then in turn causes the "!" light to go off. It is something that will happen from time to time when the temperature outside drops.

·
Dodge Avenger Forum
1,340 Posts
Not a problem. I remember when this first happened to my 07 Nissan Frontier CrewCab. I was on my way to work and it looked like a fiery cauldron, (!). I almost stopped but I thought the truck was on fire or something but I didn't because I didn't feel anything wrong. When I got to work, I jumped online and I found out what it was. I just put a couple more psi in and it hasn't gone on since. It was a new idiot light for me and it has me confused until I found out what it was.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I heard that if you have your tires aired up with nitrogen, your tire pressure will not fluctuate as much with temprature changes...:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
LOL, yeah I asked my dad about the nitrogen thing, and he hasn't heard about it. He then said, 'who would have a nitrogen filling station?' Silly father!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As stated before the indicator light is the TPMS. Mine comes on just about everytime I get in the vehicle. I run the tire pressure right on the line due to tread wear patterns I was getting on the back tires. It takes me almost 15 minutes for mine to go off and that is as always "spirited driving."

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That was the only time it had came on... guess it was just a little too cold outside that day...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts