Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday something very strange happened to my '08 R/T. I drove up to the gas pumps, filled up and shut it off. I went in to pay. When I came back out and turned the key on, the starter wouldn't engage. All the lights were on in the dash, but not even a click out of the starter. After a few minutes a message came across my factory touchscreen "to start car, turn to run". Then the car started right away. Ever since the starter doesn't always engage immediately when you turn the key, sometimes taking as long as 3-4 seconds before engaging. Now the tranny just went into limp mode and wouldn't shift out of second! Never had a problem before this. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Haven't heard that one before, you must be special:) Maybe something to do with your security system? Any CEL codes?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
How old is the Battery? Have all the battery to jumping connecters been cleaned and coated with dielectric grease recently? Poor power can cause all sorts of issues. Also what engine and how any miles on your car. Being an 08 I would also begin to suspect poor contacts at the starter and the built into the starter relay contacts. The relay contacts are easy to replace for about $30 and an hour to an hour and a half labor if you are hand. There are many videos on how to rebuild the starter relay on you-tube.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Gee the more I've been reading this thread.... I'm thinking test battery and clean connections and test alternator.
Thanks Member Namrestud...you JUST beat me to the "punch"! ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car is an '08 R/T 3.5 liter. Car has 212,000 km. Engine with 60K was put in at 199K. At the time there was a new starter, battery and alternator installed (amongst MANY other things) I did the install myself, so I know all connections are clean. The car came to me with one key fob.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Car is an '08 R/T 3.5 liter. Car has 212,000 km. Engine with 60K was put in at 199K. At the time there was a new starter, battery and alternator installed (amongst MANY other things) I did the install myself, so I know all connections are clean. The car came to me with one key fob.
after 13k miles, knowing of past and what is happening NOW requires one to go back and check things. That is the starting point of any electrical diagnosis of such a problem. YES a pain in the neck, but necessary.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yesterday something very strange happened to my '08 R/T. I drove up to the gas pumps, filled up and shut it off. I went in to pay. When I came back out and turned the key on, the starter wouldn't engage. All the lights were on in the dash, but not even a click out of the starter. After a few minutes a message came across my factory touchscreen "to start car, turn to run". Then the car started right away. Ever since the starter doesn't always engage immediately when you turn the key, sometimes taking as long as 3-4 seconds before engaging. Now the tranny just went into limp mode and wouldn't shift out of second! Never had a problem before this. Any ideas?
4c is your car battery up front or buried? I have had similar on several modded cars and find stupid connections needed cleaning or redone may have tranny and lousy connections some starters have a lack of good grounds just loosening and retightening or? old guy

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
4c is your car battery up front or buried? I have had similar on several modded cars and find stupid connections needed cleaning or redone may have tranny and lousy connections some starters have a lack of good grounds just loosening and retightening or? old guy
It's buried....just like all 2008-2014 Avengers. I put a new battery in it app. 12K kms ago. Terminals were in good shape and cleaned spotless. Today I pulled the TIPM and all connections and cleaned and reinstalled using dielectric grease. So far so good. It's intermittent though, so time will tell.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only time my avenger went limp was when quick change place (i wont mention by name) doubled up on O-Rings when changing my oil. Was on highway when car went limp pulled of popped hood and oil was EVERYWHERE in the bay and dripping off underside of my hood. Closest shop was less then a mile luckily and i was able to limp there. Being a technician myself, they generously provided me with tools and free oil to fix the issue and we all shared a laugh at my expense. It was lovely.

Moral of the story: check your oil.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Only time my avenger went limp was when quick change place (i wont mention by name) doubled up on O-Rings when changing my oil. Was on highway when car went limp pulled of popped hood and oil was EVERYWHERE in the bay and dripping off underside of my hood. Closest shop was less then a mile luckily and i was able to limp there. Being a technician myself, they generously provided me with tools and free oil to fix the issue and we all shared a laugh at my expense. It was lovely.

Moral of the story: check your oil.
That happened to me years ago with another car. It had a spin on oil filter and I didn't notice that the old O ring was stuck to the block. I put on the new filter and oil went all over the laneway when I fired it up, not fun.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The double gasket was what happened to the original 3.5 in this car. She puked all her oil and grenaded. The previous owner was so disgusted he sold it to me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And on another note, after a couple of days of trouble free driving, here we are again. Turn the ignition key to "run" and all the gear indicators have the square around them. Turn the key to "start" and no starter engagement. I'm at a loss here.....

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
BATTERY CABLE connections. Whether at the battery or ground points from them. My 04 T&C has done that a couple times and it is from poor (tarnished) connections. Follow the battery cables and clean to shiney and apply dielectric grease to both ends of power and ground cables. High resistance in varying temps of weather will cause this as power is not sufficient to work the starter and computer of the car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done that a few days ago. They were all spotless, but I cleaned them again and applied dielectric grease.

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Done that a few days ago. They were all spotless, but I cleaned them again and applied dielectric grease.
Just at the battery? You need to follow them up to the grounding points and jumper posts. There are also some smaller ground wires underneath the TIPM/fuse panel to the chassis that you should look at, and while the TIPM is out of the way to check the condition of the wires in the multiple modular plugs to the bottom of the TIPM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts