Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Avenger SXT 3.6L
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had our 2013 SXT detailed yesterday. It came back looking like a new one. There are three small chips and one light scratch I'm going to give a little attention to. I'm planning on getting the new LeBra nose cover on tomorrow. I'm hoping to snap a couple of photos of it when I'm done tomorrow. I'll post them up here if I can remember.

Speaking of LeBra nose covers, I might give a heads up on a problem with those particular nose covers. I had one on this car before. I took it off to do some washing and waxing under the bra. As soon as I removed the bra from the hood, I saw a problem. The whole bottom lip of the hood was rusted. The bra held moisture in it and rusted the edge of the hood. I sanded it all down, shot a coat of primer on it, then 2 or 3 coats of red paint, then 3 coats of clear. I took the new bra out of the box and used a leather punch to put about 10 holes in the bottom edge of the bra. It won't hold any moisture now.

Just a note for anybody using, or considering using, a LeBra nose cover.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Close on the "rust call", but not quite. It's an aluminum hood so corrosion is more apropo. And YES there was a recall for this even on non undergarmented Avengers. Too late now for most to have this done now.
Newer Pacifica's are having the same problem, I've got a friend with one and they just replaced and painted the hood on it.

·
Registered
2013 Avenger SXT 3.6L
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK. You're right. I just used the "rust" term kind of generically. Whatever the correct term is, this car had a really bad case of it. I ended up having to sand and paint the entire downward edge to get it all. I guess it's approximately 2" or so. I didn't mind doing it myself since I knew it was to be covered by the new bra. If it was to be openly seen, I would have optioned to have a paint shop do the work. I just wanted to get the cancer stopped. In the future, I'll be removing the entire bra for cleaning a little more often than I did in the past. It's easy to just ignore removing the bra when washing. Maybe it's that lazy streak in me. LOL!

·
Registered
2013 Avenger SXT 3.6L
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here a a few photos of my 2013 Avenger after a fresh detail job, including a complete buff job, and with the new LeBra front cover. After the buffing, I only see 3 little chips and one scratch that I need to address. That's not too bad for an eight year old car with 121,000 miles on it. There is a kind of nasty chip on the "chrome" grill. A rock hit it and peeled a little piece of the "chrome" off the plastic. I really do miss 60s and 70s cars. A good, old, REAL, chrome bumper would have eaten that rock without a trace. Awww, well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts