Looking to buy Avenger, but having concerns | Dodge Avenger Forum

Looking to buy Avenger, but having concerns

Discussion in 'Detailing and General Maintenance Forum' started by Max9000, Jul 17, 2017.

1. Max9000

Max9000 New Member

I'm very close to buying a red 2009 Avenger SXT (108,263 miles) from a dealer. The dealer has a sterling rep, but a little caution isn't a bad thing. I negotiated a price of $4500 (original asking price was $5500) but a few things concern me.

This rust spot on the corner left of the tail light:

[​IMG]

And what appears to be a splitting:

[​IMG][/url][/IMG] [​IMG]

You can also see a missing bolt under that and it appears to have come out through force as you can see the slot is torn.

There is also evidence of a sloppy paint fix in the front (paint on light, paint on grill... paint color is a perfect match, but lighting just makes it look uneven):

[​IMG]

The split, the torn bolt slot, and the sloppy paint fix make me suspicious of a collision having happened at some point and either the front was fixed up somehow or replaced with an unpainted front that was painted by a shop or the dealer. I did a Vehicle history check and it didn't turn up any collision, but those checks aren't always 100% accurate.

Are any of these things big concerns? I did a test drive and the car drives really REALLY well (smooth and quick), so I hope I'm not just overthinking this.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Welcome to the Forumz, Don't know where on planet Earth you actually reside, but in Western NY(USA) that would be a VERY good price for an '09! It is not a new car and has probably had a fender/bumper cover mishap that has been "repaired"(quality ?). The things you pointed out are very much minor DIY touch ups, unless to "seal the deal" you have the dealer fix those. BUT your purchase price WILL go up! Good luck on making your decision and if youpursue any course of action...may it go well for you!

Max9000 likes this.
  3. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Hello and welcome to the forum! Those seem to be minor concerns but I would ask to take the car to a trusted mechanic for a second opinion(mainly for drive train, steering and suspension issues).

Max9000 likes this.
  4. Tyrone23

Tyrone23 Active Member

Media:
    I agree with both of these comments above.

You could really question the dealer too about the possibility of an accident. They should know that information when receiving it in trade in or at an auction.

Max9000 likes this.
  5. lwalker222000

lwalker222000 Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I would pull that back taillight. I know when I was rear-ended in my avenger, it broke the taillight and the bumper cover popped back into it's normal place, but there was additional damage underneath the cover just below the taillight.

Max9000 likes this.
  6. Max9000

Max9000 New Member

Whoops, almost forgot: that split is in the front not the rear. Sorry.

7. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    And that is easily fixed with JB WELD brand plastic epoxy carried by many dept. stores like Wal Mart.

Max9000 likes this.