Dodge Avenger Forum banner

Is the maintenance package from the dealer worth purchasing, or not?

• Worth it

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Not Worth it

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • Never thought about it

Votes: 5 33.3%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the maintenance package from the dealer, $800 +. I’m wondering if that was a good idea. I see so many here are changing their own oil etc… I’ll have to find the packet info, but do you’ll think the maintenance package is worth purchasing, or not?

The topic is dealing with the dealer and maintenance so if the results end up bad, I guess this thread would be considered a bad experience. But until then, the main topic is the weather or not the maintenance package is a good option.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I am not familar what is all included in the maintenance package. I guess the best way to see if it was worth the cost is to add up all the services provided on an individual basis and compare it to what you bought as a package. I prefer to do my own maintence on my vehicles but with today's vehicles there is little the average owner can do.
I see you included your first poll, good going.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the package in my car, I'm going to post everthing tomorrow. I do know the package is for the lifetime of the car.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
$800 for lifetime maintence? Personally I don't buy those packages...maybe a warranty package but not a maintence package. I like doing my own stuff. Aside from changing the oil or rotating the tires, what are they going to do? Change the trans fluid every few years or so? Same with the radiator fluid (which probably lasts till 100,000 miles or so)?

The other thing is, if you want to run something different, say synthetic oil or a different oil or air filter, you will still have to buy it even if they are doing the work for you. Why not just do it yourself?

Before I got my magnum (which was totalled, so I got an avenger next) I had a 1999 Ford Contour. Now assuming quality has improved as years have passed (and I know its different companys, but still, usually things get better as time goes imo), I don't see what maintence this car will need aside from normal stuff. I had the ford for 8 years. I replaced 1 alternator, and 1 oil seal once and thats it. Never once did a oil flush, never once changeg the trans fluid, never once changed the radiator fluid. Car was still running good and getting 24 mpg at 150,000+ miles. I never once had an exhaust job done. I'm sure it needed probably all of those things, thats one of the reasons I decided it had to go, but still, cars today last a long time if you take care of them. And I beat the crap out of that car and it never really failed me. Hell, once I put amsoil and a amsoil filter in it, and I didn't change or add oil to it for 25,000 miles. It needed a little oil by then lol, but it was still ok.

They tryed to hard sell me on the maintence package too and I declined back in 99 then as well.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just called the stealer, I mean dealer, and here are a few things I was told. For $875 - Lifetime Oil changes, Lube, Paint Sealant, Inspections twice a year..., 30% off Rentals & Parts, 5% off Body work, Accessories, tires, Free towing, Free Floor mats. I guess rethinking it, I could've did without it. I'll have to contact the parts dept. but I'm almost sure they work with Mopar only products.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I just called the stealer, I mean dealer, and here are a few things I was told. For $875 - Lifetime Oil changes, Lube, Paint Sealant, Inspections twice a year..., 30% off Rentals & Parts, 5% off Body work, Accessories, tires, Free towing, Free Floor mats. I guess rethinking it, I could've did without it. I'll have to contact the parts dept. but I'm almost sure they work with Mopar only products.
I'm not saying its a bad deal. But the dealer is selling it to you to make money. First they get money up front. Second, regardless of what they put in and how much the person is paid that does it, the oil changes cost them very little. Third, they keep you in house by offering the discounted stuff like tires, which you can probably get from tirerack or discount tire for a similar price. Lastly, if you sell the car, its likely not to transfer, and if you use any of it and then total the car, they probably won't refund you any money.

At this point, if you think you've spent $875 more than you should of, I would go back and try to return it, if you haven't used any portion of it already. Even then, since its so new, they may prorate a portion of it back to you.

I don't think they overcharged you or anything, sounds like a fair price. Its kinda like getting front brakes done on a car. You can take it to the dealer, pay $250+ for new pads and rotors, and get it back in a couple of hours. Or you can buy new pads and rotors for $75 to $100...maybe less, and spend a few hours doing it yourself, and then have a nice big dinner with the other $150. Its not hard, it just takes a little time, tools, and research. But its a money saver in the long run.

Oil changes are a little more messy, and I've yet to look where they put the filter on this car. The magnum was a piece of cake. I guess if I had to say, remove a exhaust header or something to get at the filter...I'd take it somewhere too and pay. But if not, I'd do it myself, and likely put in some synthetic oil as well. I won't be doing that until 12,000 miles though. The first oil change is free with my dealer. :)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Ok everyone being that I am in the line of work.
The packages differ so much that you would have to explain witch one you bought.
Also if you think about it the costs of parts and oil and filters are constantly going up.
If you buy apackage the cost doesn't change for the length of the contract. And anymore if you aren't a computer geek you can't do anything but change the oil and some filters. Me personally, I don't have much time to do it myself. I work about 60 to 65 hours a week. When I'm off I'm not working unless I have to.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Ok everyone being that I am in the line of work.
The packages differ so much that you would have to explain witch one you bought.
Also if you think about it the costs of parts and oil and filters are constantly going up.
If you buy apackage the cost doesn't change for the length of the contract. And anymore if you aren't a computer geek you can't do anything but change the oil and some filters. Me personally, I don't have much time to do it myself. I work about 60 to 65 hours a week. When I'm off I'm not working unless I have to.

Well you sound like a reputable guy that works for a reputable place. Unfortunately, I've found too many places not reputable that it shys me away. Seems like I always end up spending more money than I need to.

I am a computer geek lol, but I also like working on my own stuff, gives me knowledge that others don't have and saves me money in the long run. My wifes brakes were making some noise the other day. I guarantee if she brought it to a shop it would have been a $300 brake job. All they needed was a little cleaning of some crud and they were back working like new again. Cost me nothing cause I did it and those pads have tons of life left on them.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I went in to get my 3k mile service and everything came to a grand total of $7 and some change. no more than $8. I will list every detail that was included in the service later, the papers are in the car. I know they did the filters, oil etc... Although I'm still paying for it monthly, $8 for all of that isn't that bad.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I didn't buy the package myself. As one stated it comes out to $22.00 an oil change.

Did you buy the car in cash or finance? I prefer to not give someone my money before it is that time. I mainly didn't do it because I didn't want to pay the finance charges on $800 at 5.xx% or so that I go on my car.

Yeah, its money you don't have to come up with later on. Its convenient. We all know convenience costs extra though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts