Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a week ago I took out my stock air box and did a little modding to it to get me by until I do a complete upgrade. (waiting and waiting on K&N) I cut off about an inch and a half of the piece of ducting that sticks into the box that leads from the scoop mounted above the grille. I then cut a 2" hole in the bottom of the box to allow more air in from under the car. I am in the process of fabricating a plastic scoop about the size of the factory one that mounts under the bumper towards the back of it. I am then going to run flexible tubing from the scoop to the hole in the bottom of the stock box. I am thinking that it "should" increase the amount of air coming in the box. I already have the drop in K&N filter, so it should be able to handle the increased airflow. I am going to try to keep the tubing as strait as I can because the more turns in it the more it slows down the flow.
If it seems to do no good, or causes problems, it it easy to take it off and plug the hole. But, as it is now, I truly think it slighty changed the tone of the stock box for the better. When you have the hood open and give it some gas it sounds slightly better than before the mod, so I am thinking it is definately getting more in there.

I will take some pics when I get home, and try to post them soon. I have been working a ton, and it's dark when I get off.

Thoughts on all of this?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
It sounds like a good idea but why dont u just make ur own intake, its really simple i could break down the steps for u and u can also took at my pics of it in avenger pics under silver bullet.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could pm me the steps I just might do that. This idea was just something that was super quick and cheap.

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
I would really like to see some pics of what you have done! Like bullet said, as much customizing as you do, you may want to think about making your own.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
If u dont make an intake i would llike to see ur results of the moddd airbox from start to finish plz, and also there is a short ram intake for the avenger out now. www.globalautoshop.com but if u dont mind i would like to see some pics when u get a chance

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will take some pics when I get home. It all started when I was checking on how dirty the filter was getting and seeing if it needed to be cleaned. I then saw that piece sticking in the box pretty far, so I decided if I chopped it and made it shorter it might disperse the air more evenly throughout the box. Then before you know it I had the whole thing off and cut the hole as well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I was wondering did u use flex pipe to bring up more coldair from the bottom of the car?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yesterday I finished the scoop mockup, and it looks pretty good. Some finishing touches is all it needs. I did temporarily put about a 1' piece of 1 1/2 inch rubber radiator type hose out of the bottom of the hole pointing away from the engine. Should be getting cooler air if it is getting any at all. Honestly, the car as is seems to have a little better response, and a tad more oomph.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Put some pics up when u get a chance plz.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do. I am at work now, and had to run out yesterday as soon as I got done messing around with the car. I will post pics of the scoop with the hose attached, and after the install.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
you get the install all good and pretty ready to be shown off yet?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No, the day I went to finish it out, I found that the hose I used was the perfect length, but it was too rigid. It could not make the bend I needed to attach it to the bumper. So, for now I am leaving the other section of hose sticking out of the bottom until I find a better hose to use. I want to avoid some cheapo dryer vent stuff that has been suggested by people who have done something similiar. It has been too rainy to do anything lately, and today is another drencher of a day. I guess while I am waiting on it to dry up I will tweak on the scoop and see if I can make it a little tougher.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
intake

No, the day I went to finish it out, I found that the hose I used was the perfect length, but it was too rigid. It could not make the bend I needed to attach it to the bumper. So, for now I am leaving the other section of hose sticking out of the bottom until I find a better hose to use. I want to avoid some cheapo dryer vent stuff that has been suggested by people who have done something similiar. It has been too rainy to do anything lately, and today is another drencher of a day. I guess while I am waiting on it to dry up I will tweak on the scoop and see if I can make it a little tougher.

Pvc piping that you find at the hardware store works great for cold air intake, providing you can find one that is the right angle. I have yet to try anything as I have been to busy, but that is what I used on my S-10 and it worked great.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I used exhaust pipe with a heat wrap and it also wrks great

·
Registered
412 Posts
In construction the guys that do the PVC stuff(so very technical hehe) use a heater to bend the pipe to the correct angle. I don't know how hot it has to get but maybe with a propane torch and some patience you could get it done.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
sounds like a plan to be guys!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry I haven't updated you on my little scoop project. I actually did finish it. If you look at the newer post that a guy did with the pictures of his airbox mod, that is what I did as far as cutting, etc. I cut off the round resonator on the right, pugged it with the end of it, and cut off a section of the inlet that sticks in the box. I went a step further and cut a hole in the bottom of the box and ran a section of hose out of it and to the back of the bumper. I attached a small scoop to the end of the hose and it sits perfectly at the rear of the bumper facing fowards. I had my son give it a mash on the pedal, and I can feel air being sucked through this scoop, as well as the stock inlet. So I know it should be getting more air in there. Now, whether or not it is helping I am not sure, but it sure FEELS like it is helping.

I am sorry I have not put up any pics, but the whole area has been hit hard with ice, and we are getting more as I type this. As soon as it gets to where I feel like getting out there in the cold and taking some pics I will. For now I will try and get just one of the front where you can see the scoop, and later I will open her up and get some of the inside.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts