Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title suggest, I'm still having cooling issues. My car is a 2013 3.6l SXT, and the issue I'm having is that my car will creep up in temp while at idle, and will easily go up to 230-240 when pushing the engine around 2500-3000 rpm, so not much load at all. Temps will eventually go down after some very light driving, but I'm concerned about it getting up there in the first place. Can provide more info as requested.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
Sounds to me like you have an internally clogged radiator and may need to replace it if you have replaced the T-stat and cap with a proper fill and entrapped air bleed off already.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced the thermostat a couple months ago when my engine started running cold, which fixed things. I'm not entirely sure about the cap and proper fill? I topped off the coolant and used the metal cap that came with the car, and I thought that had a part in automatically bleeding air from the cooling system? I think I read that somewhere on this forum.

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
This motor is known to trap air in the cooling system when it has overheated or been opened up for repairs(T-stat). If a couple months ago, it should have self bled out air by now. Most folks seem to fill the res. bottle and try to take right off driving, this is where air entrapment shows up. Many cooling system problems seem to come from a bad pressure cap, they are INEXPENSIVE at less than $6, My suggestion is to get one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK! I will go look for a pressure cap at a local autoshop, and will likely return here if that doesn't solve my issue. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
209 Posts
I fought with my local dealer and lost every time because there tech's diagnosis is far superior than a normal consumer. I'm not a normal consumer and I'm a former employee! The 2013 model Pentastar engines are still known for the sand casting issue that's been a problem with previous years. I flushed my cooling system 3-4 times with drive times between them and 3 coolant bottles replaced. There is a sand issue causing your over heating problem.
If you have changed the thermostat, what does the inside of your coolant bottle looks like?
I argued with my local dealer and I was told there was nothing wrong. Chrysler customer service stated I had dust in my cooling system and it was normal......
I wasted so much time trying to prove that there was sand in the cooling system I decided to flush the system myself. It took me some miles but as of now I have the purple coolant flowing clean and my engine temps hover around 195 max with a 185 thermostat on average. Of course outside temperatures may effect things also......
Attached are images of the coolant bottles from my factory bottle to the latest......
Note: Coolant dye was added looking for coolant leaks and there wasn't any, which explains the bright green color. My car comes factory with the purple coolant while others may come with the pink coolant.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just checked and got some pictures.

I can't see anything immediately obvious with the cap, and I see a small amount of buildup of some dark material on the inside of the reservoir down by the bottom right, but besides it being a bit yellowed, it looks fine. Is that enough of a cause for concern?

·
Premium Member
7,056 Posts
You won't "SEE" anything obvious! It takes a PRESSURE CAP TESTER to determine if the cap is working at correct pressure (lbs. press rating is stamped on the top of the cap). And re read the first part of my first response to you.

·
Registered
117 Posts
5rebel9 I think the post about looking at the tank and not seeing anything was MrZeds response to brr's posting about sand in the system. Key words: I think

1 - 9 of 9 Posts