Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2008 avenger is having some weird electrical problems.

chapter 1

so when i first bought the car it performed fine, then it the radio would randomly not work. sometimes the radio touch screen would completely not work or sometimes none of the buttons on the touchscreen and panel would not work. i don't care that much about this, but i think this could be potentially relevant. The two side domelights also are always on yet the main central domelight has never worked nor has the domelights in the backseat. I covered up the lights, and it didnt bother me anymore. so eventually my alternator stopped working, so i replaced it and the car worked fine.

Chapter 2

i cant remember if it was weeks or a couple months after i replaced the alternator, i also removed and reinstalled the battery a time or two to test it, but my horn eventually started honking on its own and still honks on its own, which can range from a few beeps too honking continuously for 10 seconds. it happens every day and it was embarrassing but not enough for me to put enough effort into fixing it. That was status quo until the horn honked for ten seconds at a pregnant lady crossing a crosswalk with her infant in a stroller. That was the tipping point. It had a few other quirks like it died while i was driving once and had a trouble starting for a minute and then was perfectly fine. at some point the remote started rolling down the windows every time i locked the car with it, until it stopped working completely. and my alarm goes off every time i unlock the car now. the interesting thing about this is that my horn always go when i unlock it in the morning, but only the lights blink for the alarm when i unlock it in the afternoon. the other thing that is consistent and odd is that my horn is noticeably more erratic in the afternoon. oh i also forgot to mention that the horn rarely works at all if i try to use it. it only works when it decides to honk and then usually wont work after.

Chapter 3

so then yesterday i opened up the area under the steering wheel to try and see if there was a way to unplug the horn. in addition i inspected most of my fuses which involved unplugging and plugging them back in. i unplugged a few groups of wires hoping they would stop the horn from honking, and for some reason my horn actually worked during this time in addition to steal randomly honking. unfortunately none of these cords stopped the horn from honking. The other weird thing that happened was that my backseat dome light i mentioned earlier, which had never worked in the past, both the large central and the side ones started working and now they wont shut off while i'm driving. i didnt do anything other than unplug wires and plug them back in.

What is Happening!!!

please help:(

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
So many different electrical issues seems to indicate the TIPM may need to be replaced. I would check all connections going into the TIPM(under hood fuse/relay panel). Your car is 10 years old so these things start happening especially with our cars. They have a very sensitive electrical system.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I installed the new TIPM yesterday, and it fixed all of the old problems, but now my marker lights twitch on and off and completely turn off after two seconds of the twitching. The same happens with my dash lights, the same switch turns them both on and it twitches in the same manner/timing. any ideas?

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
Not saying it isn't, but i never had this problem until i installed the new TIPM yesterday. same switch turns on the headlights and they work fine.
Car is 10 years old and the initial 08 models had a known issues with the control stalks, the fix was to install new ones.
Can't say it as a definite on your ride but worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
2 questions.

1 How old is the battery? Batteries can cause all kinds of intermittent weird problems in todays electronically controlled electrical systems.

2 Is the TIPM a new one or a reman? If a reman, maybe all previous problems were not fixed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The battery is at least two years old, could be much older.

The TIPM is a remanufactured Dorman product.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anymore ideas before i go spend 100+ dollars? none of these seem 100% definitely the problem, and i realize it may come down to trying each one of these individually before i solve the problem. A faulty remanufactured tipm since these problems weren't present with the old tipm installed, but even then, it seems that tipm problems seem to be somewhat random and inconsistent when they occur and this problem is the same problem with the marker and dash lights flickering in a similar fashion and shutting off in the same amount of time every time i try to turn them on. i don't know though, i am hoping there are a few more ideas out there before i proceed to spend a boatload of time and money. I certainly appreciate y'alls help so far.

·
Premium Member
6,228 Posts
But all you have reported doing is "plug and play" easy TIPM. WHAT have you actually electrically tested? There can be many causes to a particular symptom. We can't see your ride to tell an exact "plug and play" part or if it is poor wiring connection. And can only SUGGEST areas to check.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Have the battery load tested. I had a 1 year old battery fail with weird electrical issues coming up. The best way to load test is with the battery out. When re-installing the current or new battery, disassemble the connectors all the way to the jumping terminals and clean and reassemble using dielectric grease at all connections. Once done then it will be a little easier to tell. Also go back to the underside of the TIPM and use dielectric on all connectors here. Once power is stable, maybe have the TIPM replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
  1. I was to lazy to get back on and update on the final result of this. I have new problems I am about to post in a new post, I figured I should at least update this before doing so. The remanufactured tipm was faulty. I sent it back and got new remanufactured tipm and that solved all the important problems though the radio does still randomly stop working at times and the cab lights next to the major dome light are still stay on when the car is on.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Sounds like maybe there is still an issue with tipm. Quality control may not be so good with that re-manufacturer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts