Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings everyone! The date is 4/2/2018!

I have been lurking here for some time now ever since I bought this 2010 2.4l SXT Dodge Avenger back a year ago! You guys have all been so helpful in helping me figure out how to find the solution to all these wonderful issues that this vehicle has gifted me.

My biggest issue with this vehicle so far is the ETC light issue that I have seen many of you have. I know some people just pop in here, and look at the threads like I did, so I thought it would be productive to add some more fuel to the fire for them to look at. I have attached images along with what I have tried so far to fix this issue below. I just finished installing the Intake Gasket like an hour ago. So this could still be ongoing. We shall see...

So, my issue started with my vehicle about 4 months after buying it. I was going to work as I always do, and the Red ETC light started flashing. At first I was like wtf is this nonsense, since it wasn't showing a check engine light with it as well. I ended up on the side of the freaking highway restarting the vehicle and getting back on my way. Then it happened again, and again, and again. Finally I figured this was something that is never going to go away! (I put off fixing for almost a year since it would work most of the time)

So I found this forum, and read the posts about this issue. (BTW there are way to many to not have a damn recall for this issue.) Once I found out a few ways to tackle this beast, I started small.

-I replaced the battery in my vehicle. I wanted to make sure that this was not the issue, so I got the 5 year Interstate battery from O'Reilley. Installed it which is a pain since taking off the wheel, head light, and the driver side of the bumper sucks. I drove down the road to test it out, and guess what, ETC light came on! Wasn't the battery I guess. ( I had to remove the light and bumper since the terminals were backwards and I could not get a tool in there to loosen them from the wheel well)

-I checked all my fuses for any that might have popped. None were popped in my vehicle. I guess that's not the issue then...

-Next I decided to replace the throttle body. I got the Dorman throttle body since its re engineered to remedy the issues that the faulty stock one has. I took the old TB off, tossed it on the ground, yelled at it. I then installed the shiny new Dorman one! Made sure that the seating was clean enough to eat off of! New rubber gasket installed. Then the TB itself seated on perfectly. I then made sure to tighten the TB screws in the correct order. All tight! Reinstalled the sensor cause that would be silly. Took it for a test drive down the highway, over some bridges, to Narnia and back. Its working! Yessss!

-Next day on my way to play some Dungeons and Dragons at a friends house the ETC light comes on again! OMG! WTF! Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy????? I turned around pissed. Parked in my garage. Popped the hood. Everything is on correctly! I have no idea. I take out everything again! Reinstall it all again perfectly. I checked everything. Same issue, ETC light comes on again, and the car is sputtering and won't go faster than 30mph. Awesome.

-I limp over to AutoZone. I buy the Intake Manifold Gasket. They actually had one in stock so go there if you need one. Went back home. Took it all apart again. I couldn't figure out how to get the MAP sensor off, cause I popped the red tab on the sensor, and I couldn't get the thing off for crap. I was afraid to break it cause that's a whole different problem. I managed to get everything else off except the MAP sensor, and the Oil control Valve. I managed to finagle my way, and get the intake manifold off without removing those two sensors. I removed the intake manifold gasket. Here are a couple pictures. It looks pretty beat up, and when I was removing it, there were small pieces of it falling off, and such. I really Hope this does the trick! I cleaned all around where the gasket seats on the block, and on the manifold as best as I could. The manifold went back on without an issue. I test drove it again, made a left at Albuquerque, detoured to the yellow brick road, and alas no ETC light so far.

I will keep this post updated, as my issue continues on, or if it actually freaking fixed the problem!

·
Registered
5,378 Posts
Best of luck, frustrating isn't it? Sounds like you're doing the right stuff.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just made the introduction thread!

Update*
I made it to work 35 miles without the ETC light coming on. The car instantly responds now thanks to the new spark plugs I put in there along with the Dorman TB. I am hoping that it was that cruddy gasket that was causing my ETC issues.

I will feel better if the ETC doesn't come on once I make my drive back home today with Dallas traffic!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts