Dodge Avenger Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, I do see the sticky and I read through it. My thought is to the take the car to the dealership to get the software updated. I skimmed through the rest of the non-informative posts in there which may have caused me to miss something.

Being that I have yet to have the software updated:

I'm still on the 1 year Sirius subscription. Sirius is ok.. not $10+ a month though. Maybe $2. :) I have noticed that when I switch back over to FM, one of the two stations I would regularly listen to comes in with static. I do not plan on keeping Sirius after the subscription and want to make sure the FM stations I prefer still work.

Next issue I found is that while I can program the List for Satellite, when I program on FM, the first station I programmed works; button #1. The seciond station I programmed, 88.7, does not work. I tried programming this station on 3 seperate buttons and it always comes up 95.7 - not 88.7. I assume this will be fixed with the software update.

Has anyone tried swapping out the current HDD with another HDD? Granted, 20GB is a lot of songs and pictures. From the picture I saw someone posted of the system, I can guarentee that the HDD will only last a few years before going out. They're not designed to endure the extreme cold with humidity, or the extreme heat during the summer. I expect the lifetime to be about 3-4 years at best before needing replaced.

Other than that, love the car minus the slight delay when you push down the accelerator. I thought I read you turn the car to On - Off, On, push the pedal down 3 times at the same speed and it fixes that? I'll have to check again because the manual - which I read - I think stated that is to pull up the codes on the car.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
A couple of things to note. No idea about the static issue, but that station should program in and work. I think there might be an issue if its already programmed to another button..but I concur with the idea that a software update will fix it.

As for the HD...well I expect they will fail over time as well. I'd like to note that there really is only about 8gb available for pictures and songs though...the other 12 gb is taken up by maps for the nav....asuming you have the version with nav though of course...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have more confidence in the durability of the new smaller hard drives. iPods with HDD get slung around like crazy, and they hold up well. Heat and cold are considerations, but humidity and dust are not, due to the hermetic seal.

Also, if your HDD has 12 GB used for nav data, that is odd. Mine has only 2-3 GB used for that, and the rest available to me for music and those 8 picture slots.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I have more confidence in the durability of the new smaller hard drives. iPods with HDD get slung around like crazy, and they hold up well. Heat and cold are considerations, but humidity and dust are not, due to the hermetic seal.

Also, if your HDD has 12 GB used for nav data, that is odd. Mine has only 2-3 GB used for that, and the rest available to me for music and those 8 picture slots.
More and more I keep hearing that. When the update comes out I will talk to the guys over at Harmon Becker when I'm there and see if they can figure out why mine is like that. I even deleted all of my music files the other day and it didn't make a difference. So its either misreporting something, I have a smaller HDD, or somehow I ended up with a different unit than I was supposed to, in which case it should be able to be taken care via warranty....and or enough complaining lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
RT, I re-read the manual (cause I'm trying to solve the mystery with my own system -- no "VES"), and it mentions that only about 6GB are available for music. This is apparently outdated, as mine has more like 17GB available for music. This suggests that some software update or data load between the time of the manual printing and about November 2007 reallocated space for the navigation data and the user-accessible music/images data.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
RT, I re-read the manual (cause I'm trying to solve the mystery with my own system -- no "VES"), and it mentions that only about 6GB are available for music. This is apparently outdated, as mine has more like 17GB available for music. This suggests that some software update or data load between the time of the manual printing and about November 2007 reallocated space for the navigation data and the user-accessible music/images data.

Thanks for the info...I will be looking into it. 12 GB for maps seems a bit extravagent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts