Need help with ETC issue

Discussion in 'Dodge Avenger Electrical Problems and Questions' started by 08avenger08641, Jan 13, 2013.

1. 08avenger08641

08avenger08641 New Member

Now I know ive read a lot of different posts about this issue but cant seem to find a solution to help me. So lately the ETC light has came on while driving, car looses power, no more then 20mph, 2000 rpm so we pulled over, turn the car off restart and its fine. Last couple days havent been so well. It did it again to my wife so she pulled over and cut it off but it wouldnt restart. After an hour of sitting on the side of the road it started but went into limp mode still with ETC light on. She made it home. When I got home I checked it out, still in limp mode but no ETC light. Tried driving it, its idleing high, motor is shaking, strong fue smell and it acts ike it wants to cut off, like its chocking. So i took the throttle body off, cleaned it and reinstalled. Air filter is new. Still doing the same thing with no ETC light. Do i need to disconnect the battery to reset the computer? Or do I need to be looking somewhere else for an issue? Please someone help, really dont wanna pay dealership to "fix" it. Need this car fixed by Tue 1-15-13!! Thanks everyone!!

2. namretsud

namretsud Active Member

Media:
    Do the key dance for stored codes. Also need more info about the engine in the car.

3. mlobitz

mlobitz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    You'll likely need to replace the sensor... They are weak and ar a common failure on Dodge vehicles. You can try resetting the ETC as well. Place you vehicle in the run position without starting and depress the gas pedal and release all in 2 seconds (1 down and 1 up). You should hear a confirmation "ding" if done correctly. I'm not sure if this process is the same on all Dodge vehicles but I would bet it is.

4. 08avenger08641

its the 2.4. what is the key dance?

5. 08avenger08641

which sensor are you referring to? thanks for the advise!

6. schurick

schurick Active Member

without actually starting the car, you put the key in the ignition and turn it ON-ACC-ON-ACC-ON and leave it there.

the codes should show up in the odometer.

7. 08avenger08641

thank you very much! ill try that in the morning and see what code i get.

8. schurick

schurick Active Member

sorry we couldn't help you out by your deadline. Try what mlobitz suggested with the gas pedal, see if it resets it.

9. 08avenger08641

its all good. thanks though. in reality, i just need it running by thursday. so i have a couple more days to get it back to normal. ill try those things and see if it will reset it...if not guess im off to the money stealing dealership.

10. 08avenger08641

Well heres an update...took it to the dealership because nothing i did worked. They just called and the Electronic Throttle Control (etc) needs to be replaced, as i feared. they quoted me a price that was cheaper then i thought but still sucks. Will be saving receipt and calling Chrysler about recall!

11. mlobitz

mlobitz Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    thats the switch I was referring to. It's a plastic switch under the pedal. The fact that it is plastic is probably why they break easily (especially if you romp on the throttle).

12. Ash-Sancheesy

Ash-Sancheesy New Member

I am having this same issue, have done the process of resetting, and the frequency of the ETC light coming on and my car losing acceleration has doubled in a matter of 3 days. Can anyone tell me WHERE the ETC is located? I see all the replies on cleaning and replacing but I don't see any on where to actually find it? I have a 2010 Avenger SXT, V4. I want to see if cleaning it helps or if the gears are damaged.

13. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    I tried once again(for the benefit of fellow members) to post a link here to the BEST thread on this subject for you. Once again I could not get it to work.
    SO, Go to the OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION PAGE, Click on the OTHER VEHICLE DISCUSSION subpage, and click on the thread ETC LIGHT - Electronic Throttle Control . By member Zvert, has loads of discussion and best how to pics!

14. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
  15. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Thanks Intrepid! It has got to be something in the way my PC programs are set up that is goofing me up. I tried for an hour yesterday to make the link and just could not get it! Also I turn wrenches BETTER than working computers!

Intrepid likes this.