Need help with suspension and tire info.

Discussion in 'Custom Chassis - Suspension - Wheels and Tires' started by Vertisce, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Vertisce

Vertisce New Member

I am looking at replacing the struts on my 2012 Dodge Avenger. I don't know if they are wearing out or if they are just naturally very stiff but the ride seems rough. I want a softer, smoother ride and was wondering if there is a strut set out there that will give me exactly that. This is a daily driver, spend about 2 hours a day driving to and from work.

After that I plan to replace the rims and tires as I have been having some balance issues with my current rims. While I do that, I would like to find the correct offset to bring the rims and tires out to the edge of the stock fenders. I don't want them to stick out past the fenders but be flush with them. Does anybody know what the proper rim offset for that would be and should I stick with the stok 16 inch rims or go for something larger like 17's? Would this effect the ride as well if I go with larger rims and a lower profile tire?

2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    First off, Welcome to the Forumz! And did you ever carry thru with your seat idea? Drop by the check in page and Introduce yourself and ride to the whole Forumz Family, Then go check out the custom tires and wheels page..It is "chock full" of the wheel info you seek..already in print, both the good points and bad points.
    As for Struts..Most here seem content with Monroe brand, But you can look into that also as the before mentioned page also covers that question. And you are already on it ,so do some reading.

3. Vertisce

Vertisce New Member

I wasn't able to make it work for the seat with my gaming cockpit. I was eventually able to find a spare seat in a junk yard but was never able to get what I needed to line the bolt patterns up. I could have made a steel plate for it but don't have the proper tools.

As for this, I was able to see that Monroe seems to be popular and they are the ones I am eyeing right now but what I really need to know is the ride quality of them compared to others. I know that it might not be possible to get that comparison so I might just go with them.

I couldn't find what I was looking for specifically on the offset of the rims when I searched in the proper section. I will go look again.

5rebel9 likes this.
  4. brannigan03

brannigan03 Member

Media:
    I have factory 18s on my '11 and I don't have any complaints about the ride quality. I have 235/50/18 tires which are a little wider than the stock 225/50/18. There's probably a good 3/4"- 1" from the top of the tire to the outside of the rear quarter so it's not flush. Same on the front. The middle of the tire does stick out past the front & rear bumpers. I believe stock offset is +42 bit don't quote me on that.