Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any ideas for lifting the rear of the car a bit? Mine has permanent weight in the trunk, and it has been scraping for years now. At least a few times a week. I'm about to throw the H&R coils on it in hopes that they're stiff enough to ride higher even though the springs are shorter. Trying not to get fab work done, but it's looking like that's the next step.
P.S. The rear sag look isn't really for me.

Sorry for starting a new thread, but if I search "lift", the results are of members putting their cars on shop lifts.

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
LOL Sounds like some search! The H&R lowering springs are just that, the car will be lower. As that is what most want to do(lower the ride height). All I can suggest is looking for "heavy duty" springs from a source like Moog products or Monroe. I know what you are talking about with the scraping, my T&C has a trailer hitch that will scrape on steep driveways and I fixed that by installing load leveler shocks on the back(it is a leaf spring type rear axle) and it also allows me to carry a little more weight when towing.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha. I'll check them out!
I was thinking that maybe the factory springs were softer and squishier from the 7 years of abuse. Any lower, and I'd start worrying about peeling off road reflectors lol. I recently installed a hitch as well, and it's the only thing stopping the other parts from scraping now.
I considered the universal lift kits that are used on the err.. umm.. larger rimed vehicles, but idk about that either.

This site's example pictures made me feel too uncomfortable about it http://universalcarlifts.com/product_info.php?cPath=102&products_id=65

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
ROFL ! I see what you mean about that site. We up here replace springs and struts almost on a regular basis due to road conditions, if not for breakage then for sag. Check out rockauto.com they may be able to help at a decent price.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you think it could just be normal sag due to wear and tear?

·
Premium Member
6,687 Posts
Depending on the road conditions and how "loaded" you operate your car(any car), 50 - 60 k miles is the recommended replacement time for struts(shocks). Up here with our pothole filled roads, we may not even reach that number, springs are not a lifetime part either(depending on use) and I have found that by 100K most any car should have them replaced to restore factory ride height. It is also recommended that one should do ALL four corners to maintain "system" balance of the suspension. I have found here that it is easier to replace with complete strut units, the shock, spring and mounts are all new then; and are able to be changed into the car without special tools(spring compressor).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts