New black Mesh grille installed with pics!

Discussion in 'Custom Exterior Modifications - Body Mods' started by SilentScopelx, Apr 7, 2018.

1. SilentScopelx

SilentScopelx New Member

So I installed the new grille today, but it didn't go as planned since the part doesn't fit perfectly like the stock one does. This is okay, because it was an easy fix!

Of course as we upgrade our cars we know that this is going to happen, so we make due with what we have, and we make it fit!

I hope this helps anyone else that might be lurking this forum that bought this grille, or similar.

The one I bought is:

LUXURY SPORT MESH FRONT HOOD BUMPER ABS GRILL/GRILLE/FRAME 08-10 DODGE AVENGER

Glossy Direct Replacement Front Grill Guard Kit
    or similar. The similar ones all seem to be the same design.
    [​IMG]

(Speed Daddy as you see in the picture was the E-bay Seller. He watermarked it into the display pic haha.)

The install of the grille itself was the easy part. It goes right in, and the holes aligned just fine. The issue came when it was time to tighten all the push holders down. The bottom would rise up from the bumper once the push holders started putting pressure on the grille.

To fix this I had no choice, but to take off the front bumper. It took about 15 mins to undo all the screws, and pull the bumper off. Once the front bumper was off the vehicle, I attached the grille to it, so I could see how I would fasten it to the bumper. As you can see, there are spaces along the bottom because the clips on this aftermarket grille are terrible.
    [​IMG]

The original grille has thick grille clips that have a really recessed groove that catches the bumper. So that when you tighten the grille to the body, it pulls the bumper up all snug and stuff.

[​IMG]

This custom grille does not have this groove. The groove on the new grill is tiny and grabs nothing! The clips are also skinnier! So after some thought, I went and grabbed my drill with drill bits. I placed the grille on the bumper, then once the clips were through the holes I drilled small holes in the clips. The holes are just enough to fit the zip ties through with some pressure. That way it helps keep a tight fit. I only did 1 hole per clip, but I used a second zip tie around the first one to help it stay snug.I guess you could do more than 1 hole per clip, but I wanted to keep as much clip integrity as possible.

[​IMG]

Once I finished with all four clips, I put the bumper back on, and everything stayed tight as I tightened the bumper to the car, and put all the push pins back in!

Here is the finished product! All in all it took me about an hour and a half from start to finish. Worth it!

[​IMG]

Tyrone23, Intrepid and 5rebel9 like this.
  2. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Looks good! As they say "Necessity is the mother of invention", you found a way to "git er done" and that is all that matters! Thanks for posting of your experience doing the job!

3. SilentScopelx

SilentScopelx New Member

Glad to share!

4. 4cefed

4cefed Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I had the same problem, bit got the bottom to line up right and used loose zip ties in the top to secure to the original radiator support area.

Ideally I would have cut the top of it off and remade it in 1mm aluminum, but looks good with the hood shut so no problems & it's now a someday project

Ben:)

5. SilentScopelx

SilentScopelx New Member

I agree, it definitely could have been constructed better haha