Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! Did anyone change the shocks on its Avenger CRD 2.0? I know this thread is not for our friends from US, but does anyone knows if the shocks from Volkswagen Passat fit to our 2008 Avenger 2.0 european diesel? I have already 70000km (ca. 45000 miles) and i might consider changing them. My search on the internet didn't revealed anything about this issue. Mopar doesn't know anything about and they are not the only ones; i tried several auto parts shops. I didn't ask the dealer who originally sold me the car because they always cheat and try to fool me saying that they are the only one who can provide me with new ones. And i don't want to buy from them because i now they very, and i mean VERY, expensive.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'll bet there's an aftermarket shock made specifically for your car made in Germany. If you could drive there, or even have it shipped. Another idea is to get the part number of the shock (my guess it's a standard Avenger shock) and have someone from the U.S. send it as a gift.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll bet there's an aftermarket shock made specifically for your car made in Germany. If you could drive there, or even have it shipped. Another idea is to get the part number of the shock (my guess it's a standard Avenger shock) and have someone from the U.S. send it as a gift.
Thanks! Good ideas. I was planning spending Christmas and New Years Eve there, and then i might be able to visit some shops there. Until then i must admit that i'm a little chained here, as no one has ever heard of these things. I visited a very well known american car parts shops here but they said never heard of an Avenger with diesel engine. They know only about 2.4-2.7L which of course uses different shocks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like to bring this thread up. What was the conclusion ?? I just wonder, if shocks from Passat will fit even Avenger uses Mitsubishi's chassis and break systems. I would just like to hear the end part for this.
I know that Avengers European model was lifted 5 cm by using different kind of suspension than in US., and the stock tyres in SXT model was 215,60,17".

·
Ex Avenger owner...
901 Posts
Why are the 2.4 & 2litre CRD shocks different ??? I wouldnt think there would be much difference in engine weight!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The conclusion was that i should wait until the original shocks ends their life, because they said they are the best. Initially i want it to change them as the car looked like it has a strong inclination in curves but finally i got used with this and now i'm fine with that. Now i'm wondering if shocks from Passat will be ok, as you suggest. I will try to find out and i'll come back with a reply.
Why are the 2.4 & 2litre CRD shocks different ??? I don't know, that's what they told me.

·
Registered
162 Posts
so do you want to change them just for wear and tear reasons or for an upgrade. either way i would think that keeping shocks made specifically for the car would be the best way to go.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
@Dan Orha, for cornering by a strut brace.

http://avengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=46490&highlight=strut+brace

This is by far the best modification you can do for just $30.00. Let me know if you need help to buy this, I believe one of the UK Members bought it in the USA and shipped it to the UK for just a couple of Euro's. This is the best modification for handling.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Initially i wanted to change them for tear and wear reasons. It seem to me that they were rapidly degrading during day to day trips. I gave up changing them after a mechanic told me to stay put. He also said that the originals are better.
I'm not sure what strut brace cover means and the image is a little blury. Is something mounted at the top of the shock? What is the result?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts