New stereo install, radio not working...

Discussion in 'Custom Interior Modifications - Audio / Video' started by Avenger-MX77, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Avenger-MX77

Avenger-MX77 New Member

I had just installed a new stereo in my avenger, and everything works fine and it sounds great. The problem is when we plug in the antenna all the way into the head unit, we get a really bad signal. When we only plug it in a little bit, the signal comes in clear. At first we thought it was a faulty adapter cable, so we ordered a new one and faced the same problem. Then we took apart the head unit to see if it could be grounding out anywhere but it all looked fine. Anybody know how we could fix this? Any information would be a big help!:)

2. Intrepid

Intrepid Active Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Maybe get in touch with the guys at Crutchfield. They're usually very helpful.

3. qball52877

qball52877 New Member

Do you get alternator whine?

4. Avenger-MX77

Avenger-MX77 New Member

@qball52877 not that I know of, I did do a throttle recalibration a while ago but I don't see why that would affect anything.

5. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Not sure on your Avenger, but my 04 T&C uses a 2 part antenna connector into the radio(the actual antenna and a short antenna coax into the radio).Could this be similar to yours, and did you reuse it if it was so?

EDIT come to think of it, even our 04 Neon has the same 2 piece antenna coax.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  6. qball52877

qball52877 New Member

I have 2 wires as well,isnt the second one for sat nav and sat radio?

7. 5rebel9

5rebel9 Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 Military

Media:
    Albums:
    It may be with your newer year models,mine is for normal am/em reception.the short coax plugs between the radio and the antenna coax, IF I remember correctly the end of ant, coax is slightly smaller than the radio receiver connect. It will go in, but reception is either not there or a HORRIBLE station pick up. I have not "played" with them in some time to be certain of the situation, just remember that there was a short coax "adapter".

EDIT: Maybe Avenger MX77 has the same as you and is using the wrong audio port for his concern??