Dodge Avenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took our 2008 Avenger RT in for the emissions test and it failed due to OBD communications failure. The car would not talk to the computer. We also plugged it into another tester just to make sure the shops tester was working. The car only has 28k miles on it and this is the first time we have had to get emissions done for tags. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Possibly a fuse. A friend of mine could not get a reading on my OBDII scanner and found he had a blown fuse that supplies power to the port.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, I should have said it in my original post that we checked the fuse for the OBD and it was good. This has me beyond puzzeled. I have owned more vehicles than I want to count and never an issue with the plug in.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
There may be more than 1 fuse to run this port. I believe the fuse that he had a problem with was the one for the cigarrete lighter. Also did you use a meter to verify the fuse or just eyeball it, because sometimes they can look good but be phyically bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We took the car into the dealer and they had no problem reading the OBD. They went ahead and took care of the emissions for us. No answer why they have the only computer that will read it. Only answer was "we have no problem reading it" maybe the other 2 test sites have not updated their software. Real problem is going to be when we have a problem with the car and only the Dealership can read the codes. grrr Thank you for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just took our 2008 Avenger RT in for the emissions test and it failed due to OBD communications failure. The car would not talk to the computer. We also plugged it into another tester just to make sure the shops tester was working. The car only has 28k miles on it and this is the first time we have had to get emissions done for tags. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

·
Registered
3 Posts
2014 dodge avenger i took my car to get echeck an they cant link to my obd my fuse is good an did a hard reset still cant read or link up what can i do. No engine light has ever came on. I get power to the obd but wont link up need help what to do. I have the same problem an i cant pass echeck to get my sticker

·
Premium Member
6,728 Posts
Might want to inspect the metal wire connectors inside the plastic port connector. if one wire end is broken or expanded, it will not make connection and give the problem you describe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts