Dodge Avenger Forum banner

How often do you change the oil in your car?

• Every 3000 miles.

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Every 6000 miles.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other. (Please explain below)

Votes: 6 26.1%
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
The manufacturers are starting to tell buyers that they don't have to change oil any earlier than 7000 miles. I don't know if I trust this. Oil filters have a bypass built into them incase the filter gets clogged. Which means that if your filter gets clogged the dirty oil is run back through your engine.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm going with 6000 miles though I'm a bit over right now. Thats whats recommended in the manual.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I change my oil like I do on my motorcycle:

I'm about 500 miles on the car right now and its running synthetic. At around 1,000 milse I'm changing out the oil. Most of the grooving/shaving should have taken place by this point. Though, I'm also told that syn. oil will minimize this because its a far better oil. Regardless, the dealership will change it out for $32.

After that change, I will go every 5,000 miles. No sense is running down the oil - better safe than sorry later on. Also, I will change the oil out when the seasons change. 5,000 miles may take up to 3 months for me. Should the weather change enough, I'll switch the oil out. Keep in mind that dirty oil will degrade over time, even if you don't hit the mileage. I do about 19,000 miles a year meaning 4 oil changes, at best 6 total. $200 a year in oil changes on the high end.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oil Change Monitor

My R/T AWD has an oil change indicator with the display package. It actually came on at 4300 kms (about 2600 miles) which I thought was real early. I waited till 5000 kms (about 3000 miles) and then got it changed. The next time I use synthetic and I'll go 5000 kms per chnage from here on out.

maskedavenger

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the indicator too...but it didn't come on the first time around...maybe it will this time around lol

·
Registered
68 Posts
read your manual carefully, MOST drivers are the more severe usage and NEED the earlier maintenence schedule. The people who need the less maintenece as they say are basically grandma who drives once a week to the grocery store. Sorry to tell you this but that is one of those things the manufacterers tell you since they want you to eventually need a new car or costly repairs, There is no such thing as over-doing oil changes....CHEAP insurance if you ask me. Just a thought not a sermon:p

·
Registered
565 Posts
It depends on driving conditions. Currently i work off hours so I don't drive in "severe" conditions much so I change more on the 6000 side. When I do a lot of severe driving then I change more on the 3-4000 side.

Similar conditions for my dakota, only the conditions defined as severe are different. If I do a lot of off-road driving (non pavement - dirt/gravel) then I'll change more often becuase I'm driving at slower speeds. Some of the places I go fishing at requires a 45+ minute drive at speeds 15-25 mph on gravel and dirt roads.

severe for my cars would be stop-and-go traffic.
severe for my truck would be dust/dirty conditions with continued low speeds.

Remember heat is the enemy.

- Dan M

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Has any of the members had the motor oil in their avenger analyzed yet? By having an oil analysis done it will give you some ideal if you need to change the oil more often or if you could actually keep it in service longer. Now you guys with the 2.4l I can go ahead and tell you that engine is easy on the oil. If there is an interest in seeing what one looks like; I will post one.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What does an analysis cost and where would one go to have one done?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts

·
Registered
11,015 Posts
Wow, so that is an oil analyzer company? That is pretty cool. So you just send them your used oil huh? How much do you send to them?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts